Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there people I've been thinking that maybe building a good but basic PC may be the way to go when installing linux. Ive concluded that trying to install Arch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hardware suggestions

Hey there people

I've been thinking that maybe building a good but basic PC may be the way to go when installing linux. Ive concluded that trying to install Arch 0.7.1 on my home PC with Winblows XP is just to risky. The corruption or deletion of Winblows would get me into trouble, as my parents and my sister have supposely 'important files and documents' in Winblows. Anyways, I want to build a cheap, but good quality PC. Nothing to play Doom 3 on, or F.E.A.R, just a PC to house linux. Any suggestions for good quality, budget hardware?

Cheers

Since you don't want to play games or anything, I would suggest you go for a computer based around a Celeron or Sempron chip, with atleast 256MB RAM and 40GB drive space. The motherboard you choose should preferably include sound, video and ethernet onboard.

Since your profile says you live in Sydney, I'd suggest you goto a few of the local computer markets and see what is on offer. From memory, the market closest to my place sells Sempron 2600, 256MB RAM, some mobo and 40GB hard drive for around $275, since that price is a few months old, the specs would have improved.

For monitor, keyboard and mouse, consider investing in a KVM switch which will allow you to use your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse with thenew computer.

If these specs are too low for you, then I'd suggest you go for a full Athlon64 + nForce4 mobo, 512 RAM, 160 SATA 2 HDD, geForce 6200 card, DVD ROM (no monitor) for around $800. This system is similar to what I built for my brother a few months ago using parts I brought from the local computer market.

else check out these sites (all are based in Sydney):
    www.pcmarket.com.au
    www.cworld.com.au
    www.pluscorp.com.au
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

thanks for the reply
    The computer market/s you mentioned are based in Sydney- do you live in Sydney yourself? I am thinking of getting a celeron, as you suggested, around 2 Ghz. The RAM you suggested, is DDR2? Or just ordinary DDR? I forget which one is cheaper... And I am also thinking about getting a motherboard with intergrated graphics (I wont be playing any games) sound, and CPU (celeron).

Thanks again

Yes markets are located in Sydney and yes, I do live in Sydney. Check the papers (especially SMH) for times and locations of various computer markets. The one I speak of is in the North Rocks Westfield shopping center on Sundays, I know there is one in Sutherland and sometimes one in Paramatta.

For the RAM, DDR is cheaper, but I haven't checked the price difference in a while as I am more of an AMD kind of guy. For your purpose, a motherboard with integrated graphics would be the way to go as it would considerably cut down on your expenses.

Now Intel may have cheap low end processors, but you don't get too much bang for your buck. Advantage with AMD is suppose you find a board based on some nForce chipset, it may come with an integrated geForce based graphics card and these boards are pretty cheap too e.g. this one or this one, both of these come with integrated geforce 6200's. Coupled with a Socket 939 Athlon 64 3000, you really would have a decent machine rivalling a P4 3.2 for speed (Comparing my brothers machine against my dad's). Whatever cost savings you see in the celeron (In my guess atmost $50) would be lost in performance....
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.