Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I'm using RedHat 9, and I try using the "System Settings"->"Display" menu item in KDE to set up my graphics card and monitor. I can adjust the monitor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat 9 can't detect ATI Mobility Radeon gfx card

Hi there. I'm using RedHat 9, and I try using the "System Settings"->"Display" menu item in KDE to set up my graphics card and monitor. I can adjust the monitor just fine, but I'm having trouble getting RedHat to recognize my graphics card. I have the following system info:

Compaq Presario 2135 (Laptop)
    ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics Card (up to 64 MB Shared Mem)

If you would like further details about my system, they can be found here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...C959AR%2523ABA

Unfortunately, I've tried using all of the seemingly correct graphics drivers as provided with my RedHat 9 installation, but when I restart my system, RedHat cannot start unless it resets my driver info to be all "generic" hardware configurations. I looked at the ATI website (http://www.ati.com) for their drivers in case there are any updates, but none of the drivers they have for Linux appear to be what I need, plus they all appear to be drivers with which RedHat comes equiped.

To let you know, my system runs with the default settings, but OpenGL screen savers and applications run slowly, which I assume is due to the generic "graphics" driver.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Linux Engineer
    i cant imaging the ati drivers comngin standard with RH, being proprietary and all. try downloading the ati driver anyway and see if it fixes anything.

Just Joined!

ATI RAGE MOBILITY

I use to own a dell inspiron 8000 which housed a ATI rage mobility video card. I am not telling you but merely suggesting to go the the website and see if they carry your card and download the driver. the driver was in rpm format. maybe this will work. I was able to get 1600x 12000 res after driver installation. www.dell.com

regards,

EL GUAPO

Just Joined!

I believe your solution can be found using Fedora Core 1...

I was reading the Fedora Core 1 release notes and it mentioned an enhanced driver for Radeon cards. I am not sure which radeon mobility card you are using but you can find more information through "this" link.