Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everyone, well I just installed arch linux on a spare partition to give it a try I figured I would start installing different distro's to try them out and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arch Linux and automating network

Hey everyone, well I just installed arch linux on a spare partition to give it a try I figured I would start installing different distro's to try them out and to practice my linux skills. Well the install was fairly straight forward and extremely fast. I currently am a gentoo user for about a year now so I will use that as an example for my question.

in gentoo I do rc-update add net.eth0 default
    what do I do in Arch.
    I've taken a look at /etc/rf.conf is this where I would put this.

Second question is it called net.eth0 or something else?

that's it for now thanx.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, it's all pretty straight forward in Arch.

You don't need the rc-update feature of Gentoo. Just vim to rc.conf and put all your network stuff in there, do your hosts file, setup resolv.conf, and make sure your modem module is loading/loaded. You can check out the Arch wiki as there's a network configuration howto posted there.

cool.
    thanks for the fast reply.

yeah I briefly browsed the rc.conf file will have to look more into it. I have internet working its just not starting automatically been doing the ifconfig eth1 up dhcpcd route.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I love Gentoo, but the updates/upgrades are simply too time intensive for me, so Arch gives me everything I want from a Linux distro. In fact, it's the only distro that's ever kept me onboard and using it for more than a year.

Yay another Archer! One more down...

As for the eth0, are you using dhcp? If so, make the network section look like:
    Code:
    lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
    eth0="dhcp"
    INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
    ROUTES=(!gateway)
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

yeah I edited rc.conf and everything went smooth. So far I really like it. Pacman is incredibly fast and fetching things and install time is so freakin fast that I couldn't believe I installed and downloaded kde in less than 20 minutes. On gentoo that would have taken hours upon hours. That's part of the reason I use fluxbox now on my gentoo box. But I still love gentoo because of the configurability and support that's out there and it really make me learn linux and once stuff is installed it works great. But arch is cool and I will probably install something else in the next week or so on my other spare partition to try it out.

one question though. If I want to compile my own kernel is it just like gentoo.
    make menuconfig
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzimage /boot/kernel-name

do I then have to edit grub and keep the initrd line?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    Pacman is incredibly fast and fetching things and install time is so freakin fast that I couldn't believe I installed and downloaded kde in less than 20 minutes. On gentoo that would have taken hours upon hours.

one question though. If I want to compile my own kernel is it just like gentoo.
    make menuconfig
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzimage /boot/kernel-name

do I then have to edit grub and keep the initrd line?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to about Gentoo being overly time intensive.

Regarding kernels, I can't answer because I quit compiling my own kernels just over a year ago. Arches stock kernel has always worked quite well for me, so I use it and don't have to edit anything before rebooting. Just "pacman -S kernel26" and I'm good to go.

I think what you want for a custom kernel is something called abs. It is a ports like system for Arch. I could be wrong but I am sure that is what you might be looking for. - http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

No I mean I want to go into the kernel and then take out all the stuff I don't need and add anything that I do need that is not already enabled.

for example I don't need all the nics enabled just the one that I have

also I want video for linux enabled.

so can I just manually edit kernel and then make && make modules_install
    then cp over to boot

Sorry, can't help you there. I am like ozar, very happy with the stock kernel. I suggest using the IRC channel (irc.freenode.net, #archlinux). They also have forums.

If you can't find a solution, you could always roll your own .

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast