Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Im a new user to linux. Been intersted in it for long and finally decided to take the learning curve. Im running Suse 9. I work on a mac ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to connect via telnet?

Hi, Im a new user to linux. Been intersted in it for long and finally decided to take the learning curve. Im running Suse 9. I work on a mac running OSX Panther. I would like to connect to my server through my consol window here on my mac.

What on not sure of is what to configure on the linux box. I've tried typing "telnet ipaddres" by its like the linux server dosent exist. I cant ping it from my mac or a pc. When on the linux box I can see windows shares, so the network is working, I can also browes the net through my ADSL router.

Could any body give me some tips on how to set this up? I really am a begginer and would love any advice.

Linux Guru
    Check so that the installation didn't set up a firewall. As root, run "iptables -L -n" and post back here what it says.

Just Joined!
    I copied and pasted this out of my Konsol

suse:~ # iptables -L -n
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    suse:~ #

Linux Guru
    OK, a firewall wan't the problem.

Some questions:
    Can you ping the other PC or the Mac from the Linux box, or is the problem symmetrical?
    When you tried pinging the Linux system from the PC or Mac, did you ping by IP address or by name? What exactly was the error when pinging (did the pings just time out, or did something else happen)?
    What exactly happens when you try to telnet to the Linux system? If possible, you should try connecting with SSH instead of telnet. I believe Mac OS X should come with SSH preinstalled.
    Could it be that the systems have accidently got onto different subnets - what IP addresses do they have?
    Did you install "tcpdump" on the Linux system? If you did, can you start "tcpdump -n", and while it's running, try to ping the Linux system and see if you get any output?

Just Joined!
    Here's the status:

I can ping both, pc and my mac from the linux box using ip addresses.
    I cant ping the linux box from itself using its ipaddress, but it works when I use local host.

When I try ping the linux box from the other machiens it just times out. The mac says host not found.

Both SSh and telnet dont work to connect to the linux box. It just times out.

THe subnets are correct I double checked.

I have no idea what to do

Just Joined!
    I run a tcpdump -n and ping the linux box from the pc, this is what I got:

suse:~ # tcpdump -n
    tcpdump: listening on eth0
    17:39:00.270758 arp who-has 192.168.10.21 tell 192.168.10.36
    17:39:05.278943 arp who-has 192.168.10.21 tell 192.168.10.36

On the pc side it still says: Request timed out

Linux Guru
    You really can't ping the linux box from itself using the IP address? I find that too improbable to believe, since the request should should be bounced by the kernel before even reaching the NIC. Are you really 100% completely positively sure that you use the right IP address? Check the IP address by running "/sbin/ifconfig".

Linux Engineer
    what network card are u using?

i had a similar problem with one of my parents comps that i could never work out, i never tried pinging my own ip but all the config files were sweet, ifconfig gave me what it should, but the network jsut did not work.

I replaced the network card and it was fine.

i _think_ the card i had trouble with was a DLink pro200? (picked up as davicom something.)

Just Joined!
    I just think telnet daemon is disabled.

Can you ssh into your Linux box?

What are your open ports?

Linux Guru
    AxeZ, I don't think that's the problem, since the Linux system wasn't even pingable. If that was the problem, the error he would have been getting on the Mac and Windows system would be "Connection refused".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast