Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i have a hard drive with three partitions, one of them hsa windows xp which is mounted as dev/hda1 and i am able to access it through linux with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware with lilo

Ok, i have a hard drive with three partitions, one of them hsa windows xp which is mounted as dev/hda1 and i am able to access it through linux with no problem, when i go through the lilo config it tell me: Fatal:open dev/hda1: No such file or directory...

this is my expert setup in the Lilo Config file:

image="/boot/vmlinuz"
    root="/dev/hda3"
    label="Slackware"
    read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

image="dev/hda1"
    root="/dev/hda3"

other=/dev/hda1
    label="Windows"

image="/dev/hda1"
    root="/dev/hda3"

help would be much appreciated

Just Joined!

Re: Slackware with lilo

Quote Originally Posted by gbdavidx

image="dev/hda1"
    root="/dev/hda3"
    Put slash ( / ) before dev
    image=/dev/hda1

Linux Guru
    No, that's not what you want; /dev/hda1 isn't even a kernel image to begin with.

gbdavidx, that LILO config file simply makes no sense. What is your purpose with it?

Just Joined!

2 80 gigs

i have three partitions in one of my hard drives lets call this dev/hda3 which it is, the hard drive i am using now has windows xp (the one with the three partitions hda3), and the other part of this hard drive is my file server, i have another hard drive which is an 80 gig with all my files in it that i wanna copy over that has windows xp in it. i won't have to config lilo if there was a way i could detect my secondary 80 gig which, i don't know how... unless you can tell me how i can mount that, which would be great

Just Joined!

whole point of lilo

the whole point to set up lilo was so i can go into windows on my hda1 and copy over the files from windows to windows, which i thought would be a lot easier.... then to mount another hard drive that im never gonna use on slackware

Linux Engineer
    so what u actually want is to be able to boot windows?

comment ou the lines
    image=/dev/hda1
    root=/dev/hda3
    by putting # at the start of them, sicne they make no sense and wouldnt work anyway since hda1 is windows and does not contain a kernel image.

my windows section reads

other=/dev/hda1
    label=windows
    table=/dev/hda

perhaps if u add this table arguement it will work.
    now run /sbin/lilo to save the new file into mbr.

Linux Guru

Re: 2 80 gigs

i have three partitions in one of my hard drives lets call this dev/hda3 which it is
    /dev/hda3 is not the whole hard drive; hda3 is only the third (primary) partition on it. /dev/hda is the entire hard drive, hda1 is the first (primary) partition, and so on. If you have logical partions, they always show up as hda5 and onward.
    /dev/hdb is your second hard drive. The scheme is: /dev/hda is your primary master, /dev/hdb is your primary slave, /dev/hdc is your secondary master, and so on. You can check in /proc/ide which IDE drives have been detected.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbadavidx
    i won't have to config lilo if there was a way i could detect my secondary 80 gig which, i don't know how... unless you can tell me how i can mount that, which would be great
    You don't have to reconfig LILO at all in order to detect hard drives. LILO's only task is to load the kernel and boot it. The kernel will detect your hard drives virtually no matter what you do with LILO.
    To mount your second hard drive, first check what partitions are on it:
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/hdb
    Then mount the one you want:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/my2ndhdd
    mount /dev/hdb? /mnt/my2ndhdd
    If the filesystem on that partition is NTFS, then you have to check that Slackware actually ships the NTFS driver. If it doesn't, you'll either have to download it or recompile your kernel. To mount an NTFS filesystem, you might have to add "-t ntfs" to the mount command, but I'm not sure if mount might autodetect NTFS these days.
    the whole point to set up lilo was so i can go into windows on my hda1 and copy over the files from windows to windows, which i thought would be a lot easier.... then to mount another hard drive that im never gonna use on slackware
    I spotted this in your LILO config:
    Code:
    other=/dev/hda1
    label="Windows"
    That should be the code to boot Windows. What happens if you choose that alternative at boot?

Just Joined!

finding drives

how do i find out what my drive names are called on my secondary ide hard drive?

Linux Engineer
    ur hard drives are as folows: (although i think someone already explained this) hda = pri. mast. hdb=pri. slav., hdc=sec. mast., hdd=sec, slav.

as dolda said, to view partitions on a drive, type (as root)
    fdisk -l /dev/hda
    (or hdb, hdc etc, whatever drive u want to view.)

remember that ntfs write support is not availible, so u can copy from an ntfs (winXP) driver but not to one.