Find the answer to your Linux question:
How's Mandrake 9.2 i am totally new at this Linux stuff and heard it's good tho and i can download it right off of the site so it seems simple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.2

How's Mandrake 9.2 i am totally new at this Linux stuff and heard it's good tho and i can download it right off of the site so it seems simple to get. What do u guys think about it though.

Linux Guru
    Personally, I am very much against Mandrake; I don't like it at all. However, it might be good if you're new to Linux, so in that way I can recommend it.

Linux Engineer
    hey i like mandrake.

anyway u can download a LOT of different linux distros at www.linuxiso.org I would reccoemnd mandrake coz its got wiards for everything, which are good if u know absolutely nothing.

dolda2000 will probably tell u how great redhat is, and from what ive heard it is getting pretty easy to use for beginners, although ive never tried it otuside of uni, and they are still using 7.2.. and whatever really old kernel comes with it....and all the old software

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Hellmasker, if you haven't used RH since 7.2, then you should download Fedora Core 1 and try it out. There's quite a difference, and it even comes with GNOME 2.4.

Anyway, the really bad part about RH/FC for beginners is that they're really frightened of licensing issues and stuff, and therefore all modern RH/FC distributions come without MP3 support, without MPlayer, and virtually without anything that has anything at all to do with the MPAA and the RIAA (may they all burn along with Gates )
    Of course, you can download all that stuff after installation, but nonetheless it might be a little more confusing for newcomers.

I don't really like RH either, though... RPMs aren't the greatest packaging system of all times. I'd much rather use Gentoo, but that certainly isn't for beginners and takes almost an entire day to install.
    And nonetheless, I only use RH at home. However, that's mainly because I already have perfectly working systems and I don't want to redo them all.

Linux Engineer
    I already have perfectly working systems and I don't want to redo them all.
    theres most of the reason i havent tried fc1, and my slow dialup means it will take a week and a half.

yes i know i can install both but that requires making more partitions, and right nowi dont want to move all my 30 something gigs of isos to another 1 so i can resize the one they are on (at the end of the drive)