Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm thinking about trying another distro, now that this one runs flawlessly,....I'm board(and if i'm board i don't learn as fast). So i'll take all sugestions on what to try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I started with suse 8.2, What's next ?

I'm thinking about trying another distro, now that this one runs flawlessly,....I'm board(and if i'm board i don't learn as fast).
    So i'll take all sugestions on what to try next.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Guru
    if your looking for something a little more challenging, try either Gentoo, Debian, or Slackware.

Jason

Just Joined!
    uh........... how about SuSE 9.0?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    My questions before any suggestions would be what do you know now and what do you seek to learn? i.e. programming, db, networking, general linux os without the server/workstation add ons like apache/samba/mysql/squid/qmail/gimp/multimedia apps etc...

I use SuSe 8.2 on my laptop and RH 7.x on my servers I don't see what cannot be learned on any one distro that would not apply to all to all others except distro specific cmds and dir structures/files, which kicked/s my butt on Suse.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Quote Originally Posted by flw
    My questions before any suggestions would be what do you know now and what do you seek to learn? i.e. programming, db, networking, general linux os without the server/workstation add ons like apache/samba/mysql/squid/qmail/gimp/multimedia apps etc...
    I geuss my ansawer would be that unless somting is broken i have a hard time screwing with it,--so it isn't fun to figure it out, just works and since it dose i don't want to play with it anymore, seems silly but thats just me. and not that i know linux thourly or anyting, just need a new toy to play with. I geuss an os that dosn't do the full instalation,updates, & even almost makes your coffee,or at least puts the cupholder out for you, would be a start.......More manual less automated.
    Oh,and samba was a challange to get running..but, been there done that. Programing going slow, and i'll have to take classes to get a jumpstart in c.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Less automated Thats ususally not what most are interested since it usually meas a distro that doesn't install well or doesn't get along with hardware either. But I can tell you what to stay away from if you want more manual:

Redhat/Fedora
    SuSE
    Mandrake
    Any RAM linux CD

Becoming a installation expert is not something I ever wanted, its what I avoided. I like running linux not fixing it. That implys there is something wrong with it.

Except for some of the specialty versions of linux for networking and totally custom everything (you doing the customizaton) most versions try to do many of the installation setup for you.

My suggestions for more manual everthing would be looking further into versions of BSD (free BSD/open BSD etc...), Slackware, Gentoo or Debian. Enjoy manual
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Quote Originally Posted by flw
    Less automated Thats ususally not what most are interested since it usually.....
    Yeh but i learn better when the perverbial **** hits the fan

~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Change your hardware to something borrowed from a friend and see if you can get it to work with Suse. i.e. scanner, video card, sound, DVD, modem, nic etc... Then return it when done and reinstall you current hardware. ??
    Dan

Linux Engineer
    Linux From Scratch?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly