Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
modprobe eth0 wont work anyway, since the modprobe command controls kernel modules, and eth0 is a network interface. what u need to do is modprobe driverName where drivername is replaced ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

modprobe eth0 wont work anyway, since the modprobe command controls kernel modules, and eth0 is a network interface. what u need to do is modprobe driverName where drivername is replaced by the name of the kernel module that will work with ur network card.

if u have no idea what this modules is called first check /etc/modules.conf for a line saying "alias eth0 driverName" adn if u cant find 1 then post lspci up here and someone will tellu waht driver u need.

Linux User
    ok a cat /etc/modprobe.conf and a cat /etc/modules.conf gives me the following lines:
    alias eth0 8139too
    so i'm guessing i'll have to run a "modprobe 8139too" ?

Linux User
    this may seem to be a pretty stupid question but pls bare with me here...
    i have kernel 2.4.20 setup...if I install modules-init-tools and boot through
    kernel 2.6.0 the next time will the changes or the modules get initialized for the new kernel or will I have to boot through kernel 2.6.0 and then install modules-init-tools for the tools to work with the new kernel?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    module-init-tools in "backwards compatible" in the way that providing that you install it correctly (see the README), it will back up the old programs and run them instead if they detect that a 2.4 kernel is running.
    You have to use the shipped shell script to convert /etc/modules.conf into /etc/modprobe.conf for module-init-tools to work properly. See the README for details.
    In essence, it doesn't matter what kernel you're using while installing them. That being said, it might be easier to install them while you're running 2.4, so that they're all set up and ready while booting 2.6.

Linux User
    ok...i think i hv really screwed up somewhere...i installed modutile-init-tools and i thought i did a make moveold to backup the original files but it seems it has somehow screwed up my system...now when i boot through 2.4.20 or 2.6.0 I get the messages saying "warning I am not old modprobe.old" and "i am not old modprobe" then my iptables fail to load as modules....after booting if i do a lsmod i dont see any modules installed...insmod or modprobe does not work for any modules for 2.4.20 or 2.6.0....my network card is down...and i cant do anythg basically....can someone help me out here? is there any way i can revert back to the old base state? can i just install modutils again from the cd and hope it works??

Linux Guru
    "make moveold" doesn't check for file existance, so if you have already installed module-init-tools and then "make moveold" again, it will overwrite the modprobe.old from modutils.
    If you reinstall modutils from the CD, you will also need to reinstall module-init-tools again, since the modutils package will overwrite the modprobe from module-init-tools.

However, it should not complain for 2.6. Are you sure that you configured your boot loader correctly so that you don't really start 2.4?

Linux User
    yes...i point to my 2.6.0 kernel image in grub.conf file and select that when my pc boots up...i thought everything should have been ok with 2.6.0 but its not...it keeps on complaining about modprobe.old not being old and throws out some iptable related error messages, my network card is not initialized either...i dont know wat happened...if i install modutils from the cd hopefully i can go back to my old config and see what the problem was.

Linux Guru
    Are you absolutely, 100% sure about that? I have been debugging for hours myself just because I copied the wrong files and stuff. If you boot 2.6, what does uname -r return? module-init-tools really should work in 2.6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2