Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to set up a direct cable connection between a linux and a Windows[ME] system?????......How??? :o...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

direct cable connection

Is it possible to set up a direct cable connection between a linux and a Windows[ME] system?????......How??? :o

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Use a cross over cable and the rest is the same as if they were on a LAN.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Use a cross over cable and the rest is the same as if they were on a LAN.
    This is simply not true.. If you can prove me wrong please do so. Show me how to share the internet connection from linux to the winders puter.. With only a crossover cable.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Is it possible to set up a direct cable connection between a linux and a Windows[ME] system?????......How???
    The question was about connecting two computers, not getting on the net as well. If it was, then it needs to be clarified by the user. Beside you can still get to the net with just one crossover cable along with using other methods of connection.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Other methods being a Router.....

I want to see someone share a connection from a linux box to a winders puter with a X-O cable.

Of course you can do it with crossover but the question does need to be clearer.

Just Joined!
    What program do I have to use to connect??

flw
    Linux Engineer
    You have several methods to choose from.

If the connection is temporary then just download a ftp server app (free) for win9x. Then just ftp back and forth as needed.

If the connection is permantant then I'd suggest you use samba for file sharing on linux and create shares on win box. You can then access the windows shares from linux or access the samba/linux shares from windows. Access is bidirectional then just like ftp would be as well it just depends on frequent you need this connection.

There a few other but these are the two most common. i.e create fat32 partition to share etc...
    Dan