Find the answer to your Linux question:
how can i detect interference. is there any apps i can use with my wireless adapter to scan for any so i can choose a channel that doesnt have any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

WiFi interference

how can i detect interference. is there any apps i can use with my wireless adapter to scan for any so i can choose a channel that doesnt have any interference. thanks

Linux Newbie
    Kismet (needs native drivers, can't be used with ndiswrapper), gtkskan, iwlist scan. These are some usable tools. I use personally iwlist scan.

Linux User
    or netstumbler...using a wireless card to check for clear chanels is not the best way, but its the cheeper way.

Cordless phones, bluetooth all work on the 2.4 ghz range so if you doing this for a company, use a rf spectrum analyzer
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    i also heard some where that micro waves interfere which i dont understand cos that must mean they leak radiation which cant be safe.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper8896
    i also heard some where that micro waves interfere which i dont understand cos that must mean they leak radiation which cant be safe.
    Basically anything that either operates or leaks radiation out on the 2.4 ghz wave length will cause interfearnce.

With microwaves they do leak a small amout of radiation but its within sfatey limits, due to two reasons:
    1: There not on all the time, thus limited exposure for a limited amount of time.

2: As stated before microwave have to comply with stringent radition and 'health and saftey' laws. They are designed to reduce leakage to safe levels.

Ive also not had alot of problems with microwaves, only had one problem which was easily solved by moving the microwave to the other bench.

Kismet is a brilliant program for doing wireless serveys, but most alot of the problems i have with noise polution(other RF equipment on 2.4ghz spectrum) is stuff like bluetooth; cordless phones.

Now I have access to a pro spectrum analyser, but if your serious i have resently tried wi-spy spectrum analyser which is $99 USD. Its not got the features of the 6000 USD spectrum analyser i use usally, but it is more than capable of doing most serveys.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis