Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i did not even know that was possible or knew of any third arty tools guess i know now...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i did not even know that was possible or knew of any third arty tools guess i know now

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Windows by default won't see any linux partition, you need 3rd party tools to see it. And I don't think PM works in this case.

If you want to see your ext3 partition in XP, google around for this program explore2fs
    PM8 does work... the only thing is that you can only browse for Linux ext2/ext3 only from within PartitionMagic, although it can't see reiserfs...

Just Joined!

Exclamation LVM Filesystems and Windows

LVM is indeed the Linux "Logical Volume Manager". You can think of it as a wrapper around your EXT2 or EXT3 filesystems (sort of like a partition magic thing for Linux that allows software raid, resizing etc.)

Fedora (at least FC3, and FC4) uses the LVM by default and to date I haven't found anything to read "through" the LVM config to the EXTx partitions that it manages from Windows.

I've tried the explorefs and other Windows based EXTx filesystem drivers without luck because they don't have the ability to find the partition information. The LVM stores it "elsewhere".

I'm going to have a look at some of the windows driver sources and read up on the finer details of the LVM. I may be able to cobble something together (more than likely read only for now...)

P.S. DO NOT NUKE THAT APPARENTLY EMPTY PARTITION FROM WINDOWS, AND DON'T FORMAT IT WHEN WINDOWS ASKS. YOU WILL NUKE ALL OF THE DATA THAT THE LVM CONTROLS!

Just Joined!

Lightbulb LVM/Windows Hack for GRUB users:

http://wiki.colinux.org/cgi-bin/CoLinuxNativeRAID

Scroll down to the "LVM Specific" secion and see the part about changing grub's config...

Just Joined!

Same problem

I have the exact same question as you. I used to use explore2fs for Fedora 1 and 2 from my Windows partition, but NOTHING seems to have the ability to read my partitions hidden behind the LVM. Will keep on searching and post here if I find a solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2