Find the answer to your Linux question:
alright well, i cant figure out how to delete my linux (slack 10.1) partitions, i tried using partition magic, but that wouldn't work, then i tried to log in linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

deleting linux partitions

alright well, i cant figure out how to delete my linux (slack 10.1) partitions, i tried using partition magic, but that wouldn't work, then i tried to log in linux it wouldn't let me, so i popped in the xp cd (usually you can delete partitons in that) but the cd wouldn't load, i just want to delete all my linux partitions, and start over (i dont want 2 reload windows though) i just need a tool that i can use, either on windows or like boot disk, and if its something tricky to use like the fdisk command, i need a tutorial

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are going to start over installing Linux, just start the install. The installation routine will allow you to create or delete partitions and it will format them for you before installing Linux.
    oz

or, if you just want to get rid of linux (hopefully not ), in xp go to control panel,admin tools,computer management,disk management. right click the partition & select delete.once all partitions are removed, boot from your xp cd,select recovery. at the dos prompt type fixmbr.then you will be able to boot windows only.
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    ozar gave you a good answer already, but when you ask: One solution is just to boot some liveCD and get access to terminal (many install CD:s can). There you can use fdisk or cfdisk or some other program to delete your partitions.

Just Joined!
    well i did wat deltaflyer said, then i just reallocated the free space using partition magic, then i was just planning on making a smaller partition than i had b4 for linux, but when i tried to boot this morning, it said something like
    loading dmi.....
    L 99 99 99 99 99 99...
    i tried putting in the xp cd, it booted this time, then it showed me the C: NTFS partition, and it was the only partition on there, so i have no idea wat wrong

if you use partition magic to create linux partitions, it is best tot just create a blank partition. then the linux installer will see the blank partition & ask to be installed there.also, did you do the fdiskmbr part ? that will reset the master boot record.

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    well i cant boot to windows to do anything, and when i use the xp boot disk it just has something to put windows on a partition and to delete partitions

Just Joined!
    i got it, the xp cd i had didn't have the option to repair, so i borrowed my friends disk, then got 2 the prompt and did the fixmbr thing, thanks a lot it would have been a pain to have to reinstall everything on my computer