Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi people ..new to the forum nice to be here,but i was just wondering if anyone knows or anyone has put an opensource all in one dvd together like someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking All in one DVD

Hi people ..new to the forum nice to be here,but i was just wondering if anyone knows or anyone has put an opensource all in one dvd together like someone did with the windows OS...that would be cool..many thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    can you explain more?

do you mean, having the whole os on a dvd (rather than, say, 3 cd's)?

if so, than yes...many linux distros (variations of linux) have dvd and multi-cd options

Just Joined!

Talking AIO dvd

no what i mean is just like the say for example xp 8 in 1 thats all one one cd but now someone has put all os's win xp through to win 2003 server plus other bits on one DVD with menus to install each o's in other words i insert the dvd and hey presto i have a choice of eithet knoppix-linux or fedora to install u see what im gettin at..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question too, but there are over 400 different distros now, some of them taking as many as 15 CDs, so how would you fit all that onto one DVD?
    oz

Just Joined!

Talking reply

and how many copies of windows are there..mmmm and how u think they got those on one dvd i was just askin to see if any one had made a dvd like windows all in one dvd not will all copies no but say some of the latest versions

Just Joined!

Talking linux AIO dvd

was just a thought...maybe sum1 will do it one day we live in hope well i do..lol cheers...

oz
    forum.guy
    Hmm... I still have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry I can't help.
    oz

Just Joined!

Unhappy Linux dvd

ok lets see if i can explain this in lamens terms....supposing you wanted x operating systems on one dvd like the winxp 8 in 1 disc thats got 8 windows xp os's on 1 cd,now someone has put all windows except 95,ME and VISTA on one dvd so in theory when u inssert the dvd u have a choice of which to install so i was wondering if by chance there is something similar with opensource distro(not all of em) but say a few on one disc so u have a menu with a choice of which to install now do u understand....

Linux Enthusiast
    i know what you mean, but i don't think there's something like that for linux.

he means a dvd that will have some of the main distros on it that will give the user the option to choose which distro to install. the windows disc has a few of the various windows versions on it and gives the user the choice of which to install

Just Joined!
    The difference is that those OS's only differ by at most 3%-5% of the files, so up to 95% of the files are the same for the windows dvd. Each linux OS uses different directories for certain things as well as different versions of programs and different packaging systems to install those. For an all in one dvd it would involve taking the whole of each OS and putting it on a dvd, not just the 5% difference in windows OS's but the entire OS for each.

The 8 in 1 windows dvd can also be a cd.. it's really that close. I have one.

So in short it is most likely not doable for more than a few distros and it would involve using a different installer for each.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast