Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I have an old laptop sitting around (V-low specs) and i'm wondering what I could do as far as getting it to display information from my base computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux box to display Windows XP Stats via serial port link

Hey guys,

I have an old laptop sitting around (V-low specs) and i'm wondering what I could do as far as getting it to display information from my base computer i.e Ram/CPU/HDD usage etc, as well as allow me to control my music while playing games,

I'm wondering if there is a program in existance that will do that, via Serial port would be best, or ethernet if I have to but serial is preferred.

Also, which distrobution would be recommended, the laptop is a p100 w/ 32mb ram (heh, its retro), It doesnt have a internal NIC, so i'm hoping to pass data through it via Serial, but I do have a PCMCIA nic that should work, but serial would provide more experience with other ports (not to mention save me a second NIC in my box)

Cheers -fr333k
    Last edited by fr333k; 02-21-2006 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Umm, bad name

slackware is a good first option. however, i have only ever seen damnsmalllinux run X on 32mb of ram.

X would run pretty slowly. that is a perfect machine to run in the cli.

still, i suggest slackware to start off with.
    good luck
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!
    Ok yeah i might have a play with slackware, I didnt mention it although I should have that I didnt want a GUI (it looks so much leeter )

As for the networking, is a Serial Port networkable at all, if so what would be the easyest way to dump the data (Telnet, with a server on this computer)

If your wondering why i'm doing a rather pointless thing, its to learn more about linux, I have sucseeded at a Http/ftp server, and i'm wanting to try something out of the ordinary

-Fr333k

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    trust me. there is nothing wrong with the out of the ordinary.

i have a 486dx4 with 32mb ram and i use the system mainly to play mp3's, to toy around etc. (and also for respect ).

i wonder what i could turn mine into if i found and isa network card...
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!
    Anybody have any idea's as to how I'll be able to pull stats from my XP Box, I have had no past experience in this area, or that of network programming but i'm hoping this might become a starting point