Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a few thousand files spread through out a number of directories that need the owner and group changed. The problem is, it is not all files that need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Change Owner on many files how to?

I have a few thousand files spread through out a number of directories that need the owner and group changed. The problem is, it is not all files that need these changes. I copied the files from a susie to a fedora install and the user ids / group ids changed.

So what I need to do is find all files with uid 30 and change it to a user. Then I need to do the same based on gid. I tried the find command based on UID and it did not work correcly. The files that need to be changed do not show a user but a number because the users do not exist.

I tried
    find -nouser -exec ls -l {} \;

But that returned everything with either group or owner without owner. That will not work. I need to find specific by group or user.

I tried also

find / -uid 30
    But this returned everything.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, I can't explain why your find example didn't work.

find / -uid 30

works here just fine. Try testing on a smaller, more local area with some examples that match so you can debug this more.

[EDIT]Oh duh, I'm an idiot. Make a dummy user with that userid first. find is probably getting messed up because you're asking for a "nonexistant" thing as far as it's concerned.

DT

Unfortunately I'm finding the same. If I search for my own UID with that command it easily locates my files, filtered from the others. Even running that command with UIDs that don't exist 'successfully' finds nothing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close