Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a very general question and did not know in which queue to place it..so here goes.. I currently have a site using dyndns.org. What do I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

general question about domain-name.

Hi,

I have a very general question and did not know in which queue to place it..so here goes..
    I currently have a site using dyndns.org. What do I have to do to create my own domain? like can I just buy the domain-name and host the site on my local linux box? or do I need to buy the domain-name and then host the site somewhere else? can anyone suggest any sites from where I can buy the domain-name and point it to my local linux box?
    i dont know how to go abt getting my own domain? i hv a cable connection at home, is that sufficient?

thanks
    Nik
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Linux Guru
    Before going into any details, it is of absolute importance that your IP address is fixed. Sure - it's possible to update a domain name, but it can take several days for the update to propagate. Thus, you're not using DHCP, are you?

Linux User
    ok...how do i get a fixed ip address? do i hv to contact the isp's here?
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Yeah, you have to contact your ISP, but they will usually charge you for providing a static IP address. I was lucky - my ISP always hands out static addresses.

However, there is one other solution, it hits me. The thing is that when you buy a domain name from a provider, you only buy the "slot", so to speak. The only thing they do is forward all the DNS queries on your domain name to a name server that you give them the IP address to. The subrecords inside your domain can be given a very low TTL (time to live), so that they would be updated fast if your IP address would change. The tricky thing is that the "slot" that the domain name provider gives you (the NS record) has a longer TTL, which you cannot affect yourself. My domain name provider has a NS record TTL of 48 hours, for example, and there's no way I can change that.
    However, if you can make someone who has a static IP address to run the name server for you (like me, you'd better start bugging me now =) ), that won't be a problem, since the name server IP address wouldn't change, only yours. You would get minor disruptances every time your IP address would change, but if you set the TTL right, they would only last a few minutes.

You can also use a dynamic IP service like dyndns.org it does cost $20 per domain.

Linux Guru
    Or cjb.net, which is free of charge.