Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, i'm running Redhat 8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14 on an i686, and i have a couple of extra hard drives that i can't mount because they are NTFS, still from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux NTFS Mounting Problem.... Help?

Hey guys, i'm running Redhat 8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14 on an i686, and i have a couple of extra hard drives that i can't mount because they are NTFS, still from an old win 2k install. I went to Linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net and got the rpm for my specific kernel. I downloaded it and installed it and it said it installed without a problem. When i get to the part where i'm supposed to do /sbin/modprobe ntfs , this is the output.

(hold on will post it in a minute or so.)

i got to reboot, but in either case, i am getting errors, what could be my problem, i'm sure the error message will help more. will get that to yea in a sec. thanks guys

Just Joined!

here it is.

hey guys, i rebooted, and tried to reinstall the package and it sas it's still installed, but in either case, this is the output of /sbin/modprobe ntfs

[root@zooted root]# /sbin/modprobe ntfs
    modprobe: Can't locate module ntfs
    [root@zooted root]#

As most pre-compiled kernels don't include the ntfs module, I always have to built it when uppgrading the kernel, I'd recomend that you rebuild you kernel and compile the ntfs support as a module(selecting "M") , or as I do, select "Y" (to build it in to the kernel).
    I've uppgraded my Redhat 8.0 install to fedora core 1, but both before and now I've had to recompiled my kernel to include ntfs support - with relative ease, just read the readme file that follows the sources and the compilation process is easy.
    I recomend that you get the latest kernel (v2.6.1) sources and compile it (don't forget: make oldconfig, then make gconfig) and make sure that the ntfs is compiled as module or into the kernel. I think that is the least pain fullway, plus you get an up2date kernel
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Engineer
    run
    Code:
    rpm -q --filesbypkg ntfsPackageName
    eg if the rpm was called ntfs-1.0.i586.rpm replace ntfspackagename with ntfs.

find out where it put the module. (from the output of that command) and move it to /lib/modules/kernelversion/kernel/fs/

Linux Guru
    It could simply be that the database needs an update. Try running "depmod -a" and try again. Otherwise, check what Hellmasker said (except it's much easier with "rpm -ql name" instead of "rpm -q --filesbypkg name").