Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know if any of you guys saw this on Digg earlier but I can quite simply say it is amazing. XGL is unbelievable. It is as good as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Exclamation XGL / Kororaa Live Disc

I don't know if any of you guys saw this on Digg earlier but I can quite simply say it is amazing. XGL is unbelievable. It is as good as I thought it would be, an d a bit better. It is really smooth, very stable (especially for an early release). All of those hacks we have been using like xcompmgr and 3Ddesktop have just been replaced by a smoother all in one solution. I strongly recommend you download it and have a look for yourself, this has to be seen to be believed. I saw the videos a few weeks back but this is far more impressive on your own desktop, and especially with the luxury of a live disc. Plus the Digg effect is making torrents run really fast right now.

Try this - I can say with my hand on my heart that this looks as good if not better than OSX.

Linux Newbie
    Downloaded this but couldn't run it. My specs 2G celeron, 256 Mb ram and 64 Meg video card. Suspect the ram was the problem.
    I was really looking forward to it too. : (

It loaded up but ran hopelessly slow.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Linux Guru
    No way that sucks! I'm running it on a laptop nVidia GeForce 4200 with 64MB ram. I have to say it runs as smooth as you like. I'm really looking forward to when KDE get their patches in to fully support it, as much as I like Gnome I'm just a bit more KDE at heart.

The zoom function is pretty useful too. What graphics card are you using?

I am bumming.
    I downloaded it and went to see if I could get it to boot.
    I knew I would not be able to see any 3d effects due to lack of good video card.
    I only have a Sis6326 with 4 MB ram.

But I was hoping it would at least boot to a Desktop, instead I was dropped to a command-line.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Downloaded and burning, if it is any good expect to see a review of sorts being written for this site.

Also anyone who might try to run this in future, Kororaa Live Disc with XGL will work with nvidia or ati cards only (at present).

Edit:: Just got back from playing with it. So far I like it, my system specs are as follows: Athlon XP 1800, 512 RAM, 32MB Integrated GeForce2 graphics.
    I have to say it was pretty, there was a slight lag when typing things, it definately uses more memory ~460MB once GNOME is running as opposed to ~370MB in SUSE and KDE.

I will definately try it on other computers at home, and expect to see a review come up shortly.

bigtomrodney, for me the zoom function doesn't work, did you have to do anything extra to get yours to work?
    Last edited by AlexK; 03-13-2006 at 07:24 AM.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Enthusiast
    I installed Xgl on my Arch system just a couple of days ago...I've had a lot of fun with it so far

There are some minor problems that I've been seeing but they're not serious enough to make me want to stop using it now

Can someone please tell me how to zoom? I forgot that it was possible. I know how to make things transparent and how to spin the cube (or rotate it by mouse) but I still haven't figured out how to zoom in.

Thanks!

EDIT: figured out how to zoom...SUPERKEY+mouse-wheel

Linux Newbie
    bigtomrodney

It's a nvidia gforce4 mx440 (yeah, I know, it's the best I could afford at the time).
    Reading AlexK's post makes me think the 256ram is the problem.
    I will try some boot options. This is the first live cd that has refused to run on this box.
    The site with the torrent listed "minimum system requirements pentium 5"

Edit; Followed the link you gave above, I either downloaded the torrent from a different site, or the p5 thing was a hallucination.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

googled first,
    IIRC the MX440 is supported, I assume you are running it on a computer which has linux installed to some partition and some swap space might be available. If so, try running:
    Code:
    swapon /dev/hdaX
    replace X with location of swap partition.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.