Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a system that End users use in the capacity of a Thin Client. I have noticed that the boot messages are a bit disconcerting to them and would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Silence Boot Messages

I have a system that End users use in the capacity of a Thin Client. I have noticed that the boot messages are a bit disconcerting to them and would like to silence them (the boot messages, well the users too, but that is another issue :^)) so the users never see any of the boot messages. I found something about putting append="debug=0" in lilo.conf, but this doesn't seem to do anything.
    Any ideas?
    Adam Daughterson

Linux Guru
    One common thing that I have seen is to set a serial console. I don't remember exactly how to do it, but try adding "console=ttyS0" to your kernel options.
    Otherwise, I think there is some kernel patch that displays an image instead. I can't remember its name, though.

Thank's, your feedback helped me to phrase my Google query more eloquently, and I found this link:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-l...-Dec/0530.html

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    You could also use framebuffer and bootsplash and set it up so theres a progress bar instead of verbose mode. You will find all the info you need here, including screenshots, here: http://www.bootsplash.org/

Linux Guru
    Oh yes, bootsplash was the patch that I had in mind. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Linux User
    hey, this bootsplash thingy looks kinda neat! i'd like to try this soon after i get mysql up and running on my system.

my questions are: what's this framebuffer they're talking about? what do they mean use vesa driver? i've read the bootsplash.org site, and some related links, but it was always about a SuSE or Debian distro. so how does one enable splash instead of boot logo on a RH distro? in the "Console drivers -->Framebuffer support" part, is it the same as selecting a drive for your graphics card? so does this mean i have to revert to the old vesa driver instead of the nvidia i installed to get this to work? but i'm assuming i don't have to.
    Registered User #345074

Linux Guru
    The Framebuffer drivers are graphics drivers that are built in to the kernel. They allow you to have graphics in the ordinary text mode (the text is rendered as graphics by the kernel). As you rightly guessed, it won't affect X at all.

Linux User
    ok, i guess those settings are for SuSE and Debian distros only. i'll have to assume that framebuffer support is already built in my distro, and everything else. anyway, it seems i'll have to recompile the kernel for this, and i can set it in the make menuconfig/xconfig if this is enabled. i'll just go read some more details on recompiling the kernel.

now correct me if i'm wrong, k, but from what i understand one can only not recompile one's kernel if the module one wants to add is already a supported module, and one only needs to add a driver or something for some device. but if it ain't there, then a total recompile is necessary. is this right?

one more thing. i'm supposed to place my kernel source in /usr/source/linux. this literally means making a folder named linux, right? or is it the linux-kernel version i'm supposed to name it after.. . e.g. x.y.z, where the letters correspond to the major and minor numbers?
    Registered User #345074

Linux User
    You're right you don't need to rebuild the kernel if you're just adding a module, just make modules modules_install. I'm not sure if you can just make one specific module or not, I always just make modules modules_install. Secondly no you don't have to put the kernel sources in /usr/src/, thats just a place a lot of people like to use. I'm not sure if this is required on all distros, but make a symlink to wherever your kernel sources are to /usr/src/linux.