Find the answer to your Linux question:
I originally thought this was just Knoppix related, but it turns out it is affecting all Linux boot discs, so I'm moving the post here. This was my post in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After installing XP Pro, no Linux boot discs will boot

I originally thought this was just Knoppix related, but it turns out it is affecting all Linux boot discs, so I'm moving the post here. This was my post in another section:

This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but here's the situation:

I have a Compaq nx6100 notebook that I've been using that had XP home, and I've used Knoppix 4.0.2 live for linux with this machine for some time. I've never actually installed any Linux distro to the hard drive on this machine.

I did a clean XP SP2 Pro install using a volume license edition. I deleted the partition and let XP install on all of the free space. The XP install finished, then I later popped in my Knoppix CD, rebooted ,and it bypassed the CD.

Next I went into the BIOS and noticed that multiboot had been disabled somehow since the XP install. This makes no sense to me. I re-enabled multiboot, made sure my CD drive was listed as the first boot device, saved my BIOS settings, restarted, and it bypassed the CD again. So I put in the XP setup disk, and it booted off of the CD fine. Next I tried a SuSe live disc, which I've used many times before, and it booted into Windows. I've also tried booting with a SuSe install disc and a Fedora 4 install disc, and they get skipped, and XP starts right up. I tried a couple of more Windows based discs, such as a Win 2000 install dics and a Bart PE disc, and those booted fine multiple times.

So, basically, now I can only boot off of a CD that is a Windows bootable CD. No linux boot CDs will work anymore. Like I said, this makes no sense to me, but nothing I've tried so far, including resetting the BIOS, has made any difference.

I've even updated my BIOS with a new version, but it didn't help.

Linux Newbie
    I grant, this is odd (anyway, the whole Windows-thing is). You may try to plug off your hard disk and then try to boot a livecd to find out if Windows has messed up something other than just HD.

Is the order of the multiboot have the cd b4 the hdd if not change that

Then if that is not it try hitting F12 on boot to force it to boot from the cd (this is compaq spacific)

/me has had this issue b4 on his compaq lappies
    Last edited by loft306; 03-19-2006 at 01:15 AM.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Is the order of the multiboot have the cd b4 the hdd if not change that

Then if that is not it try hitting F12 on boot to force it to boot from the cd (this is compaq spacific)

/me has had this issue b4 on his compaq lappies
    As I mentioned in the first post, the CD rom drive is listed as the first device in the boot order. I tried enabling the 10 second boot menu that allows you to choose CD or HD boot, and even picking CD from there was not letting me boot linux.

I finally got this resolved, though it was wierd. I downloaded a BIOS update that was Windows based. After I flashed the BIOS and rebooted, all of a sudden XP said I had to reboot b/c XP installed a new device, but I hadn't changed a thing on the laptop other than updating the BIOS. I still couldn't boot any Linux discs.

What finally fixed it for me was downloading an HP network BIOS updater. This pushes a bios update to a client without it having to be run as an executable within Windows on the client. That finally did the trick, so now I can boot all of my Linux live discs again

Just Joined!
    Brilian work. I'm still looking for that HP Bios updater,HP's website is bit of a haystack.
    But another one: when I run OSBS for creating a multiboot a window pops up telling me that XP noticed a program that directly tried to access the harddisk - there must be some secutiry setting to overcome this?