Find the answer to your Linux question:
ey guys, in essence, is building a binary from source RPM the same as compiling from source code - configure, make, make install - .. . ? or is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

compile and/or SRPM

ey guys, in essence, is building a binary from source RPM the same as compiling from source code - configure, make, make install - .. . ? or is there really a big difference?
    Registered User #345074

Linux Guru
    It's more or less the same, yeah.

Linux Engineer
    it is is u run rpm -Uvh filename.src..rpm

however if u run rpm --rebuild filename.src.rpm
    it will compile itself and put a normal rpm file (except it will be set up specifically for your system) in /usr/src/rpm

this means u can still have all the rpm benefits (eg. listign files by package, version numbers etc)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    ok thanks guys! i'll stick with src.rpm then if that's the case. like Hellmasker said, i get to compile (--rebuild) it and still have the benefits of an rpm install. then i don't have to manually look for the files one by one in case i have to uninstall it. i think there's make uninstall but i usually delete the source folder and all it's make files after install coz it's a waste of space so make uninstall would be deemed useless.. .
    Registered User #345074