Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, when I do rpm -iv whatever and it installs where does RedHat put the files? Is there a RPM directory that contains the actual executable binary? thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

rpm's

Hey, when I do rpm -iv whatever and it installs where does RedHat put the files? Is there a RPM directory that contains the actual executable binary?

thanks

Just Joined!

very well...

When you do an rpm -iv you are asking the system to install (-i) and to be verbose (-v) when installation begin when you press enter. if you are installing system files important for your system they will be placed in the /bin directory. if you are installing a development library then it will be placed in the /lib directory. if you want to find where your new files are installed use the following command:

find / -name 'file name*'

remember I wrote file name and an asterisk just as an example, when you do just type the name of the file you are looking for.

good hunting.

Linux Enthusiast
    ahh! Don't do that, that thrashes the hell out of your hard disk. You can tell what a rpm file installs with `rpm -ql packagename`. If you see a file, and what to know what installed it try `rpm -q --whatprovides filename`.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

Maybe I am doing a big mistake...

I thought that using the find command was not dangerous, is that what you mean? :o

I do it everytime in my system, whitout a problem, but if it causes a damage please let me know. what about if I use locate command?

thanks.

Linux User
    no wassy just meant that it will take awhile because he is starting at / and searching everywhere for a file. By thrashing he did not mean damage to the hard drive, just making it work alot harder then needed.

rpm -ql <package_name> will list the files the package installed, that redat keeps this info in the rpm database - so it takes much less time.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!

ah......

Thanks guys, I forgot that command, since I have been working a lot with rpm those days, because I am compiling a program that has become a nightmare. I am installing whatever you could imagine. (I believe... I got the answer)

bye.

Linux Guru
    rpm -q --whatprovides filename is unnecessarily long, though. Just rpm -qf filename will do just as good.

Linux Enthusiast
    ahh shorthand, made for people that like to read 5 minutes of documentation to save 3 seconds on a command
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    I say wassy and dolda, 3:30pm at the flagpole! I'll ref!
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.