Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi there i just want to know what filesyustems yer using and what advantages some filesystems have above others... right now im using reiserfs, as the installation notes for Gentoo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Filesystem of choice

hi there

i just want to know what filesyustems yer using and what advantages some filesystems have above others...

right now im using reiserfs, as the installation notes for Gentoo said that it was rock-solid and darn fast.

I just beleived in it....

P.S. are you sharing my opinion that NTFS is a real pain in the ass?

Linux Newbie
    in my opinion,all filesystems after fat32 are same at speed.There may be some differences but i never noticed.
    i use NTFS + ext2.

Files are kept on a balanced tree on reiserfs.

take a look here:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/reiserfs.../msg10521.html
    Have a nice day

Linux Guru
    I usually use ext3, since it has the most solid journalling code as far as I know. However, on my NFS server I use XFS. I was using ReiserFS, but I felt that I really wanted POSIX ACLs, and thus I changed it to XFS.
    One of the advantages of XFS is that it can be resized while mounted, which is another reason why I chose it (ReiserFS can do that, but not ext3 - ext3 has ACL support, but ReiserFS doesn't (actually, it does, but it really doesn't work very well in Reiser v3)). Since I extend my NFS filesystem every once in a while with another hard drive (I use LVM), I didn't want to take the time to unmount the filesystem every time and wait for it to be resized.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    i use ext3 coz im lazy and it was the default.

yeah i think ntfs is a pain in the ass as well. im sure i posted my nice story about how it corrputed itself 3 or 4 times in 1 nite somewhere on here before.

well im quite satisfied with reiser as it works darn fast just as promised.

and Dolda, thanks for the post, but i didnt understand all of terms u used like POSIX and ACL (ive heard about em both, but....)

Linux Engineer
    POSIX is a standard for *nix OS's.. it seems to have been recently integrated with the Single Unix Specification... in fact, i have a copy of the entire standard in html format on my HDD.. it's pretty boring reading, but if you ever want to design a *nix OS, it tells you what is required to be compatible with the others...

i'm not sure what ACL's, are though
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru
    lordnothing, would you mind sending me your copy of the POSIX spec? I don't have it, and I honestly don't know of a way to get it.

ACLs are Access Control Lists, which extend the current permission system on POSIX systems (the user, group, others system) by adding arbitrary access control (for example, I can give the `apache' user execute permission on my home directory by running `setfacl -m u:apache:x ~').

Linux Engineer
    Dolda: ftp://mytallest.zapto.org/susv3.tar.bz2
    that's both the Single Unix Specification and the POSIX standards.. it's not the official site.. it's my ftp server... (so guys, please be kind.. it's *just* a cable modem)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru
    Thank you, but you have set mode 600 on it, so it's unaccessible.

Linux Engineer
    oops.. i'll fix it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast