Find the answer to your Linux question:
HEy guys not 100% sure if this is the right section, What is the best distro for Best Distro for Xgl and Compiz. i have intsalled it on ubuntu drapper ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro for Xgl and Compiz

HEy guys not 100% sure if this is the right section, What is the best distro for Best Distro for Xgl and Compiz. i have intsalled it on ubuntu drapper drake just now and it feels verry choppy. have seen the novel video and it llok a lot better than what mine runs any ideas.

I don't think it really matters what distro you use. It depends more on your video card. I got it working a while ago but it was choppy as well. I do have integrated graphics though (i810) so I can see why I was not getting smooth effects. What video card do you have?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Try out Kororaa and see if you like it. www.Kororaa.org. It use Xgl and is a very polished distro. Its available in both HardDrive install and also LiveCD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I tend to agree with bryansmith and think it's more a matter of hardware and getting the software setup properly rather than being a matter of which distro. Trying Kororaa as suggested by apollo might be a good idea since it comes preloaded with xgl.
    oz

Just Joined!
    yeah i tired Kororaa was not to keen on it as it has a lack of packages on it and not repostatry like ununtu to get files from . I am still quite new to linux you see but still maging along i like the affect that xgl has. I am running a 7800gt with a 3700 so i know my sys can take it . i have it on unbunt drapper drake but as this still is beta i dont want to keeo uing as a main desk top bu i am willing to convert over

It'll be easier to get Xgl and Compiz working on Dapper by June, the scheduled release date. Also, check out Edgy Eft, Dapper +1 as they call it. Its going to come preoloaded with such goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by scotishhaggis
    yeah i tired Kororaa was not to keen on it as it has a lack of packages on it and not repostatry like ununtu to get files from
    Um, Kororaa is just Gentoo, so you have Portage at your disposal, it is similar to apt, but it compiles things for you.

Fedora Core 5 is supposed to have it, assuming you can get the 3D drivers to load. And SUSE 10.1 will also have it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    well i ran the live cd version of Kororaa it did not have Open office on it. i am not 100% sure how to install programes like these. i ahve been using Ubuntu now for over 4 months and can install easy with this. Where in Kororaa would i fing prostadge for all the installs

Here is some info on Portage: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage (check the additional links as well).

If you want a package, try:
    Code:
    emerge <package_name>
    Try
    Code:
    man emerge
    for more information.

Note: Portage compiles programs from source so compiling Open Office from source will take a long time. So programs (like Open Office) have precompiled packages for you though.

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 04-20-2006 at 07:36 PM.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.