Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have a vps based on CentOS 4 and am using Fedora Core 5 on my desktop, I wonder should I use CentOS or I better stay with Fedora. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora or CentOS

Hello
    I have a vps based on CentOS 4
    and am using Fedora Core 5 on my desktop, I wonder should I use CentOS or I better stay with Fedora.
    I new to linux and I want to learn for better support to my server

As of my personal opinion, I like something stable (like CentOS or Debian Stable) on my server, but I prefer to have the latest on my desktop (like Fedora Core 5 or Debian Etch).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

For servers, CentOS all the way. Fedora is a very, very nice Desktop solution but really not the best solution when it comes to servers for two reasons:

1. Fedora is bleeding edge, thus things tend to break here and there.
    2. Fedora is not as long supported and patched as CentOS (=RHEL clone)
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

I agree. CentOS is perfect as a server as it is extremely stable. It also makes a very nice desktop. Fedora is way on the outside edge of the Linux envelope and you're likely to run into many more bugs and configuration problems. Some folks like that challenge though, so it's really a matter of preference.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 04-21-2006 at 12:59 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

I can echo most of the sentiments expressed here. If you want the latest and greatest but don't mind having to deal with broken packages or random program crashes, Fedora would be what you want. If however you want a functional system that's stable and doesn't require an awful lot of "fixing" on your part (but isn't always up-to-date on the latest programs) then go with CentOS.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants