Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, yes, it is possible to have a nice GUI on a server, but it will be awfully slow on a computer with those specs. Instead, I suggest you learn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Well, yes, it is possible to have a nice GUI on a server, but it will be awfully slow on a computer with those specs. Instead, I suggest you learn how to do it "the real way". Remember, we're always here if you have any questions.

Linux Newbie
    if you're sure to use a gui, do not take KDE,its the slowest.
    Have a nice day

Just Joined!
    I understand your desire that I learn "the real way" but I know how I learn and I want to use a GUI until I know what I'm doing.

Small steps.....

I just ebayed a 3Com 3c905b NIC. I'm now looking for a good deal on a Linksys BEFW11S4 WAP.

With these 2 things in the loop I hope to:

Connect the cable modem to the RedHat box and serve up a website from it.

Establish a wireless network that can be accessed by 2 Airport PowerBooks and one PowerMac 6500 with a WET11.

I should be able to share the internet with all 3 machines this way, correct?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    He can use almost any gui with no impact as long as he boots to cmd line and exits back to it when done. Then the performance issues would be near zero.

The user stated he was new to linux and there are server tools that are easier to use in a gui than the terse cmd line methods. i.e. webadmin, linuxconfig etc...

Additional consideration is that the kernel is current, since 2.4 doesn't support 802.11g, I'm not sure about 11.a
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Yes, I'm not concerned about the GUI having an impact on the server functions - the problem is that it will awfully slow to get around in if he would be using GNOME or KDE. However, webmin may very well be a good idea, I guess.

The 802.11x support in the kernel isn't really relevant. Since he must have an access point anyway, the easiest way around it in my mind would be to connect a normal ethernet NIC in the server to it.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    The 802.11x support in the kernel isn't really relevant. Since he must have an access point anyway, the easiest way around it in my mind would be to connect a normal ethernet NIC in the server to it.
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the kernel version is not relevant for wireless support? Earlier verisons of 2.4 had virtually no support of wireless and the latest of 2.4 only supports 802.11b?

Also the users never stated if wireless was just to get around having to run cables or if their was another issue like an older home where it wasn't practical.

Just trying to understand what you mean.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    The user (me!!) is going to use wifi simply because I don't want the hassle of wires. Airport is built in to my 2 PowerBooks so I'm gonna use it!!

Thanks for all the input guys.

Linux Guru
    Oh, I think I made myself misunderstood. I didn't mean that the kernel version was irrelevant for wireless support, I meant that it was irrelevant whether it support wireless at all, since (as far as I had understood the issue, at least - correct me if I'm wrong, clarkdv), he was going to connect the access point to the server directly via the means of normal ethernet equipment.

Just Joined!
    Morphix Linux is good. You should get the lite GUI version of It. Other options are KDE and Gnome.

Just Joined!
    I DO want to connect the WAP directly to the Redhat9 box. I want to serve some websites directly from it and it seems easiest to have the cable connection coming directly to the linux box(thru the WAP, of course) to do this.

Then I want to be able to access the cable modem's internet connection from my PowerBooks via Airport.

Am I going about this bassackwards?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast