Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
That's precisely the way I'd recommend you to do. However, if the Linux machine is to work as a router as well, I would recommend that you put two NICs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

That's precisely the way I'd recommend you to do. However, if the Linux machine is to work as a router as well, I would recommend that you put two NICs in it - one connected to the cable modem and the other connected to the internal network (I'm guessing that would mean directly to the WAP). It's clearly the easiest way to do it.

Just Joined!
    Oh really? 2 NIC's? Makes sense but are you sure that's necessary?

Keeping the 2 networks makes sense.

Linux Guru
    Well, it may very well be possible to do with one NIC, but it's uglier, harder to configure, and provides a worse solution since it's a bottleneck.

Just Joined!
    So, I need to install TWO NIC's.

One connected directly to the cable modem so that the internet connection comes in and makes my webpage accessible straight from my static IP address.

Then use the second NIC to SHARE my internet connection to the WAP to be distributed wirelessly to my Macs?

Sound right?

Linux Guru
    Yeah, that sounds precisely like what I had in mind.

Just Joined!
    Cool, now for the nuts and bolts. Is Apache installed by default with RH9? Do I even need Apache?

Can you point me to a tutorial on how to setup my RH9 machine to serve up my webpage and then share its connection via my WAP?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I dont think apache is installed by default, and even if it is, it most definatly is not set up. You will need apache, or another webserver in order to serve up the web pages, but you would need other tools to share the connection with the powerbooks (i belive). Besides, apache that comes on disk would be older anyhow. Upgrade right after the install.

Linux Guru
    I don't think Apache installs by default, but just choose custom install and select it and you'll be fine.

As for making it share the internet via the WAP, it works just like sharing it with wired clients from the Linux system's point of view. You'll need to set up NAT. See the NAT HOWTO for details:
    http://www.netfilter.org/documentati...NAT-HOWTO.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3