Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I may be nuts but here's what I have and what I want it to do: Pentium 233-64MB RAM-4GB Hard Drive I want it to be the main connection for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux for this machine and what I want to do with it

I may be nuts but here's what I have and what I want it to do:

Pentium 233-64MB RAM-4GB Hard Drive

I want it to be the main connection for my cable modem, I want to serve up a website from it and then be able to connect to it via 802.11b for internet access to my PowerBook (OS 10.3.2).

Will this old, slow Pentium do it and if so, which distro of Linux would be easiest to setup for it? I'm fairly smart about this stuff but I AM a Linux newbie.

Thanks for any help!

Linux Newbie
    Have a nice day

Linux Guru
    Speed is no problem at all. I use a 166 MHz Pentium MMX with 32 MB RAM and a 3 GB HD as my router, and I have a quite advanced networking setup. Even so, it never ever reaches any noticable load levels. I used to be running HTTP from it as well, but I moved apache onto a machine of its own due to security reasons. It still runs the FTP and mail services though, without a hitch.

For these kinds of things, the distribution probably doesn't matter that much. Just stay away from Mandrake. For sure, RH, Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, etc. will certainly do the trick.

How were you planning on setting up the 802.11b? Are you just going to plug in a PCI card into it and run ad-hoc mode, or are you going to connect a wireless ethernet bridge to an ethernet NIC in the router (I recommend the latter)?

Just Joined!
    I have a copy of Redhat 9, will that work OK on the 233 Pentium?

I was planning to just add an 802.11b PCI card, I have Airport built in to the PowerBook.

Linux Engineer
    dolda, u really hate mandrake dont u??

andyway, that comp will br fien to run RH9 in text mode, and u could even get a gui running but it might be a bit slow.

I have a bxo here with a cyrix 200mhz and 32mb ram, 2gb hdd, and it can run a webserver if it wants, its not right now coz i keep screwing up attempts to get a router set up etc, but it runs a internal website jsut fine.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, RH9 will work great as long as you don't try to run GNOME or KDE. In fact, don't even install them - they won't do any good anyway. That box of yours has almost the exact same specs as my server that runs RH9.

And no, I don't like Mandrake. It's not a good system, in my opinion. I installed it on my sister's computer once, and I never liked dealing with it. I do recommend it when someone wants something user-friendly, though.

Just Joined!
    I'm installing RH9 on the machine as we speak, I installed only the X GUI before I read your post, clever of me, huh?

Anyway, the main thing I want to do is to use this machine to serve up my company's webpage. Right now I'm serving it up straight from this very PowerBook that I'm typing on. It has Apache on it and it was extremely simple to setup.

I wonder, will it be as easy to serve my website from the RH9 machine? Perhaps it will be easier? Either way, I look forward to the challenge(yeah, right, I ALWAYS say that at the beginning of a 3 day fight to make something work....).

The other thing I want to do is to provide wireless internet access to my PowerBooks via 802.11b. DO I just need an 802.11b PCI card or do I need a router of some sort?

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Patrick

Just Joined!
    Well Hell!! Now that RH9 is installed and rebooted, it comes up into a command line box with XTerm at the top. I can't seem to launch the GUI!!

Help!!

Linux Guru
    That's the kind of GUI that you get when you only install the base X package. Isn't it enough for a server?

As for the 802.11b, did you mean to say Powerbooks in plural? In that case, you will definitely need an access point. The ad-hoc mode only works between two nodes.

Just Joined!
    Yes, plural, 2 PowerBooks. Thanks, I'll look into a Linksys WAP.

I do only want to use this install of RH9 as a server, yet I'm completely new to Linux and would like the (I hope) easier to understand and configure GUI to ease me into it. Is it not possible to have it be a server AND use a nice GUI?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast