Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am looking at creating a custom installable distro. I am thinking about basing it on either SUSE or Mandriva. I also want to remove references of the original distro's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Create own custom Linux Distribution

I am looking at creating a custom installable distro.
    I am thinking about basing it on either SUSE or Mandriva.
    I also want to remove references of the original distro's name with a different name. Can anyone please help me with some information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Linuxkid_01

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxkid_01
    I also want to remove references of the original distro's name with a different name. Can anyone please help me with some information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Linuxkid_01
    make sure you read the license from end to end before you use there distrabution...and read the GNU public license too...

Just Joined!
    I have found the Mandriva legal page.

In regards to Mandriva, before I distribute a modified version of Mandriva, I must remove any references and logo's in regards to Mandriva.

Just Joined!
    I have found the Mandriva legal page.

In regards to Mandriva, before I distribute a modified version of Mandriva, I must remove any references and logo's in regards to Mandriva.
    your going to have to go through every script to find them...sorry i cant help but you got a load of work ahead of you....good luck...

Just Joined!
    Thankyou for the uplifting advice
    What would I look for in a script file, and what do I look for when I come into deleting the Mandriva References??????

Linuxkid_01
    Before you do any serious work into creating your own distro, there are some very basic questions you should ask yourself:

1. What is the purpose of this distro?
    2. Is there an existing distro that serves this purpose already?
    3. If I'm basing it on an existing distro, what unique features will my distro have that will make it different enough from the original distro in order to be noticed and worthwhile?
    4. Do I want to base it on an existing distro or use something like Linux From Scratch?
    5. Do I have the time, skills, and resources necessary to create a completely new or derivative distro?

That being said, I'd highly recommend against your creating a new distro. There's plenty out there and surely there's one that does what you want it to or is easily modified to do so. If you're just convinced you need to make a new one, I wish you good luck. You're going to need it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Okay, if I use Linux from Scratch, is it possible to have the recent kernel, and KDE???

Possibly but you may have to do some tweaking to the instructions they provide. I have never done LFS before but I would imagine the instructions are tailored specifically to the software versions they use in the book.

Like techieMoe said, I would recommend against doing this unless you have a lot of time on your hands and patience to spare. If you do decide to continue, good luck!

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 04-30-2006 at 12:43 AM.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    So LFS is based on another desktop like GNOME etc.

The LFS book itself only provides a base system. BLFS is the book you should look into for doing things like KDE. The current BLFS book covers installing KDE 3.4.1 (current version of KDE is 3.5.2).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast