Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can I take a shotgun to my computer?? Please?? (Deep breaths) Ok....My computer is having some random errors...Ive gotten kernel panics, segmentation faults in various programs, to randomly not booting. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

GRRRR!! I want a shotgun!!

Can I take a shotgun to my computer?? Please??
    (Deep breaths)
    Ok....My computer is having some random errors...Ive gotten kernel panics, segmentation faults in various programs, to randomly not booting.
    I ran memtest on it and the standard tests all passed, now im running all the tests on it. I thought it was the kernel so i downloaded the 30 meg file with my 56k (gag) modem and uncompressed it. I kept getting errors compiling it so i erased it all and went to re-uncompress it. Now it willn't uncompress and my computer locked up when I tryed that. So, after hitt'n the good old restart button it started and was running fsck. Now my ext3 partitions are currupt and I got a segmentation fault while trying to fix them! Any ideas what could be causing all this?
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

When I had some problems like you, after inserting a 64 mb SDRAM-chip, crazy things started to happen. Emacs startet to segfault, I couldn't save a file without me getting a kernel panic, Xfree would come up with random error messages. I'm not kidding, if it was't one thing it was another.

So ofcourse I tried to remove the bad ram chip (works great in another computer btw ) and everything went from warzone to pure utopia.

So basicly, try out memtest and check for faulty ram, try to take out ram chips, and try them out separately, can take time but its worth the effort.

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    Upon running ALL the tests with memtest there are 154 errors and counting.