Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Please stop all these organisations releasing Linux distros! After deciding to stick with Suse on my laptop, I'm now addicted to grabbing other versions for my desktop PC to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking They're out to get me!

Hi,

Please stop all these organisations releasing Linux distros! After deciding to stick with Suse on my laptop, I'm now addicted to grabbing other versions for my desktop PC to test. I currently have discs (all downloaded) for 2 versions of Suse, Kubuntu, Wolvix Games Edition, Debian (net install version), PC Linux OS, SimplyMEPIS and Mandriva (2 versions). On top of those, I'm also downloading as I write this; Debian (2 DVD version), Suse 10.1 final (6 CD's) and am looking longingly at Knoppix.

I can't help myself. I keep trawling through DistroWatch and LinuxTracker looking for more to download. It's not so long ago that I had a choice of the several versions of Windows, admittedly none of which really appealed. Now I'm so spoilt for choice, I'm probably going to have downloaded 50Gb worth of Linux distros before the month is up. Do I need to go for counselling or is this normal behaviour?

I wish I'd done this years ago!

Lealoc.

Dunno if it is normal... during my Linux journey, I have thoroughly tested some 30 different distros in six years and burned way over 150 CDs while trying to find the perfect match. During the last two years, my download-frenzy stopped, as I finally settled on Mandriva. But I still check one or two other distros from time to time and I download a Kanotix CD every year for system-rescue purposes.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

It is indeed an addiction and sickness. The only cure I ever found for 'distro whoring' is Slackware.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    It is indeed an addiction and sickness. The only cure I ever found for 'distro whoring' is Slackware.
    Yup, I've got tons of CD's with all kinds of different distros. My cure was (and is) Gentoo. Though I still download an interesting distro every now and then

Just Joined!
    The only cure I ever found for 'distro whoring' is Slackware.
    LOL! Slackware is way too scary for me yet Dapper Dan. Maybe in 10yrs or so I'll have become confident enough to try it. I gave up on the Debian net install distro as I couldn't get KDE or Gnome to work after spending around 12hrs on it. I had fun messing, but it was a bit too hard to figure out the text installer in places. Or rather (if I'm being honest), I made some incorrect choices during install and couldn't rectify them afterwards. Noob!

I've just installed SimplyMEPIS and am impressed. My next project is to get it dual booting with Debian. No doubt it will take me a few days once I manage to break something heh!

SimplyMepis is a good distro although I haven't seen it since they've based it on Ubuntu. Slackware really isn't as hard as it's made out to be. Once installed. package management is very easy with slapt-get which works pretty much the same as apt-get. If you like Gnome, there's FreeRock Gnome and Dropline Gnome. Both have simple package management systems.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Having no access to broadband helps too. Cut off access to your dealer and it's hard to get a fix.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Having no access to broadband helps too. Cut off access to your dealer and it's hard to get a fix.
    It's worse when you've got broadband, yet only have a download limit of 500mb, less than 1 cd. I have to my large files off other people. Man, that annoys me.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

lol weedman, that must be like only get half the kick but all the nasty side-effects.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

You betcha. I can download the odd DSL release here and there, but that's about it. All of the limit gets chewed up my excessive use of the net.

I bet you that you have adsl2. Argh, I hate telstra.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast