Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have comiled a kernel of 2.6.16, and then create a bootable partition to hold it. Add some basic programs such as chown df hostname ls mount and the dynamic ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How Can I Add Network Function To My Minilinux

I have comiled a kernel of 2.6.16, and then create a bootable partition to hold it.
    Add some basic programs such as chown df hostname ls mount and the dynamic libraries which the programs need when they are executed to the system.
    Now I can login to my new system to use the program to administrate it.
    The startup script can work correctly.
    The system does not have network function, although I have added network support to the kernel when I compiled it.

Now how can I add device of eth0 and use ip command which is in a package of iproute2-2.6.8-040823.tar.bz2 to set the ip address for my new system?

thanks in advance.

Linux Enthusiast
    You'll need device nodes in /dev to be able to connect. Since you're using the 2.6.16 kernel, you should have also installed udev and have it start during boot. Udev will pretty much take care of that mess in the /dev directory for you. In case you don't want to, or doesn't know how to, use udev (I for one still can't get it working right even after doing 2 LFS installs), create the device files manually using mknod or MAKEDEV (MAKEDEV is more straight forward).

NOTE: You don't need iproute to set up an IP address, using ifconfig (+dhcpcd if you using dhcp) is a lot easier, at least I think so.

Just Joined!
    thank you for your advice.
    I have compiled udev in my Fedora Core 3, and cp executable program to my new system including dynamic libraries they need.

I run udevstar command, and "echo $?" returns zero, but there is no effect.
    When I run ifconfig, I got a warning message "can not find device of eth0".

Can anyone please tell me how to use udev, or manually using mknod command to create a device file.
    thank you very much!