Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was having problems with my computer because of a full hard drive. It runs Fedora Core 4, x86 archetecture, 20gb main harddrive, 20g FAT secondary drive (from an old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Harddrive cleanup/application removal

I was having problems with my computer because of a full hard drive. It runs Fedora Core 4, x86 archetecture, 20gb main harddrive, 20g FAT secondary drive (from an old win 98 install I never use). I deleted a big iso file i don't need to give myself some time, but I need to cut down on other files on my drive. I did clear my /tmp folder. My main problem is with applications i've installed. Mostly, the programs i've added are from running rpm files or compiling tarballs, and i've lost track of what i've installed, and i have no clue where they put all their files. Is there any good way to find all these unused programs and get rid of them? I know i can check my PATH, but I also want to be sure to get rid of configuration files these programs may have created. I'd rather not reinstall if possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi - You might like to think about using whatever package management system your distro uses to uninstall rpms. You can't always predict where binaries will end up from source installations ... the main binaries are usually in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or just /bin

It's worth checking /var/log as well. You might be surprised at home much room your log files are talking up! When you think about uninstalling, be careful you don't break your system! Just get rid of things a bit at a time and monitor how much extra space you're creating. When in doubt leave it alone.

As for config files? Well, if you installed from source a lot of configurations are compiled in, but then again every programme is different.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

The solution here is to be a little more organised when you're installing. Maybe you've learned this the hard way, but if you're installing from source, it is really helpful to keep the source available afterwards. I keep mine in /usr/src on the rare occasions I need to install this way. Then I can always go back to the source tree and do 'make uninstall' to remove the package (the readme's that come with these packages tell you all about the config files you'll have edited to set it up, so they're easy to find too).

Of course if you didn't do this, you could struggle. You can always try downloading the source package again, and then doing a 'make' followed by a 'make uninstall' and see if that removes the executables. Of course, this wont let you list what you have installed.

As far as removing package manager installed packages goes, its a lot easier. You can use yum to manage packages, or you can call rpm directly, yum uses the rpm package system, so you wont break anything by going down this route.

If you're doing this because you're running out of disk space, and you dont use your windows drive any more, you can always format it at ext3 and mount it on /home to free up system partition space. The process for doing this is:

- Unmount the fat partition if it's mounted, dont forget to back up any data files if there's stuff you want to keep.
    - Use the fdisk tool (as root) to delete any partitions on that disk and create a single ext3 partition. Write the changes out and quit fdisk and format the new partition with mkfs.
    - Log out from all your user sessions, go to a text console (with CTRL-ALT-F1) and log in as root.
    - Temporarily mount the new drive on /mnt, then copy everything from home on to it, do 'cp -a /home/* /mnt'
    - Unmount /mnt and mount the new partition on /home
    - Go back to the GUI with CTRL-ALT-F7 and see if you can log in as a regular user, if you can all is well.
    - Fix your /etc/fstab file to mount the new /home partion on boot
    - Run the new system for a few days to be sure there's no problems.
    - Log out as everyone again, log in at the text console as root.
    - Temporarily unmount /home for a moment.
    - Delete the contents of the old /home folder to recover all the disk space - the folder itself is a mount point so has to stay there.
    - Remount /home, and log out as root. You should then be use the system as normal, but have lots more space.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    A giant space eater on one of my machines was file deletion. It was moving them to Trash not deleting them. After finding that, deleting them, and setting it to delete not send to trash, problem was gone.