Find the answer to your Linux question:
Did not know where to post this, so thought to put it here. I had been running into issues installing the mandrake 10.1 CE to my EXTERNAL USB drive. Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bootable CD for USB

Did not know where to post this, so thought to put it here.

I had been running into issues installing the mandrake 10.1 CE to my EXTERNAL USB drive. Now have installed ubuntu though.

Why i want bootloader on cd is quite evident from my above situation. I always need to run from one place to there for getting things fixed up; thus I am having 2 drives -- One having windows utilities and OS and other having linux (Ubuntu, Mandrake 10.1) and utilities. Now I want ot have a boot cd wherein I can boot off from a cd and select what system i want.

Though it will require tweaking as to let bootloader load the OS that I want. This whole thread will need a two phase solution so for first we ll stick to a boot cd only.
    The basic functionality that I want would be a menu which let me choose following::

1) Boot from internal hard disk
    2) Boot from USB
    3) Boot from this cd into Windows (windows bootable....ME or 9

You can try those instructions, from the Grub manual:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...le-CD-ROM.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    @Antidrugue

Thanks for your swift reply. Well honestly I dont avoid grub but lately it had been quite a bad to me. The reasons might be any.
    Ok coming back to it, i want a straight thing wherein I put CDR in and let pc boot from it. In boot menu I want to have an option which transfers the control to a USB drive.

You might wonder why in the world i need this. The concern is I hate carrying everything with me. I am not a pro but yes advanced windows user. I always loved linux though something or the other pulled me back to Windows. I dont hate it for just joining the new community but for the fact that windows and other ms products are quite resource hungry. I can recall days when 64MB ram and a gig of drive was like anything. Now I am having space of over a terabyte (incl. virtual space, hdd, tape drives). But to be honest only a gig or so is what I actually use; rest is all into songs or games and over 80% is software and OS installs.

All said and done you gonna believe I'm one of those creepy users who just wants to try everything and thats it!! Lols. Yes i am one of those.

But on a serious note I definitely want to be into linux for the only fact that I want my resources to be best used spcially ram and stuff. I want that the machine should be used to full potential before dumping

Summing it up:
    Firstly i want a cd which can transfer system to USB boot.

TIA

Can't you just tell the BIOS to boot from USB?
    If you can do that then you will be able to take advantage from those instructions here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ

This looks good too, as it details the "device.map" configuration you'll have to do:
    http://lists.theshire.org/pipermail/...st/000816.html

How does your kernel detects the USB key? /dev/sda? You need to specify it in "device.map".
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks again.

My BIOS have support for it but many pc's at work do not. So I need to have something from CDRom. I do know somethings though none seems to work. Any idea?
    Yes its /dev/sda. And I have tried everything...device.map, fstab, grub loader, menu.lst, lilo.conf everything but thing is same.