Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The windows XP boot CD does not work to restore windows own mbr. I've tried it couple of times and it never works. As compared to that, a windows boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how to make a copy of windows boot floppy into a boot CD?

The windows XP boot CD does not work to restore windows own mbr. I've tried it couple of times and it never works. As compared to that, a windows boot floppy with fdisk utility always worked with A\>fdisk /mbr command to restore windows own mbr from linux's lilo/grub.
    I want to know if any one knows how to use Roxio easy cd creator to tranfer the data of windows boot floppy (with fdisk utility) onto a CD, so that you can boot from it to use the fdisk utility.
    I want to do this because last week i bought a notebook. It does not have a floppy drive. And i want to install linux on my notebook along side Microsoft WindowsXP. If something goes wrong with Linux and i want to restore my Windows boot loader, i need to use the fdisk utility and i can only use the cd-rom. Thats why if someone knows how to use Roxio easy cd to convert a bootfloppy into a boot CD, i would be grateful for the feedback on how to do it.

Just Joined!
    I was able to fix my MBR issues with the WINXP CD-ROM. What procedure did you take to try to resovle the problem last time?

Linux Engineer
    First of all, isn't this a Linux forum?

You can repair the MBR with the CDROM if you choose the 'repair' option. Otherwise, using fdisk with the mbr option will work just fine.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Newbie
    The Fixmbr option through " repair " utility of windowsxp pro never worked for me. Therefore, i was wondering if i can make a boot CD of my own with fdisk utility by copying the contents of the floppy onto a CD. Will the CD work? if i just simply copy the contents onto a CD. Or there is a different way to do it?

Linux Engineer
    a version of fdisk can be found on any linux cd/floppy with all the same features not only that but it will have FAR MORE functionality than the windows version. on a linux cd/floppy you will find fdisk or cfdisk or both. you should use the linux version as it is open source and just generaly better. you can also use most distrobutions of linux (cd) to "boot from installed os" which includes windows.

Just Joined!
    Check Roxios help for info on creating a bootable CD, and simply add the files that you may need to the CD's file system. Thats really all the floppy is anyway- a plain bootable disk with files added that you may need,(fdisk, format, more, attrib, edit, etc) and a autoexec.bat and config.sys that will get the CD drive running in DOS mode(oakcdrom.sys, mscdex, etc)

(Hey guys, let's not get all Bill Gates-ish on him. If he doesn't want a better computer, it's his choice. Isn't that what linux was supposed to be about, choice?)

Linux Newbie
    Common on Brother, YOU BROKE MY HEART !!!
    When did i say that i like Windows over Linux? HELL NO !!! I can not dump microsoft right away right now. In my relatives/friends everyone uses microsoft. So i need microsoft as a back up as long more than 50% of the world dont start using Linux. I'm still learning Linux and i am a beginer. I would only need to restore Windows mbr in case i mess up my Linux and need to use computer urgently and dont have time to reinstall Linux. Plus once microsoft is installed, i dont really have to mess with it. But in this process of learning Linux, i need to be daring and aggressive. Obviously i would like to keep my family pics, mp3 songs, videos (and other winbloze files) on microsoft OS. You really hurt me. It's alright i forgive u.

Ok. i will check out Roxio's Docs on steps to take for making a boot CD.

Linux Newbie
    Is there a link for uninstalling grub too? (i will be playing with fedora which only installs grub. Last time i tried not to install grub but lilo. There was no option for it in fedora!)

Linux Newbie
    Dont worry. I will try to search for it on my own. If i am unable to find then i will post the question in this forum.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast