Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do you force mandriva 10 to copy the installation media to hard drive so that it will access packages from there, rather than request the installation CD's? A previous ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Desperate for help!

how do you force mandriva 10 to copy the installation media to hard drive so that it will access packages from there, rather than request the installation CD's? A previous installation did this by accident during installation, so I know it can be done

It's an option you have when you first install it. There should be a checkbox at the beggining of the install process before you pick your packages that will tell it to copy the contents to the harddrive.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Reply sent to desperate for help

I have repeated the install for my copy of LE2005 and at no time during the install process was any such option offered. I use this release as the 2006 edition will not load on my current system. Thanks for the help offered. I hope there is some other way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyvil1956
    I have repeated the install for my copy of LE2005 and at no time during the install process was any such option offered. I use this release as the 2006 edition will not load on my current system. Thanks for the help offered. I hope there is some other way to do this.
    There is indeed an option offered at the very beginning of the install. To see a screenshot of the screen to which I'm referring, go to this site and look at the 12th screenshot down. You should see the screen where it asks which discs you have and has a checkbox at the bottom that says "Copy whole CDs".

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_mandriva_2006
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Cool copy installation CD Option

As I have said I've looked repeatedly at the installation sequence for LE2005 and this option is definitely not displayed. Especially not when it reaches near the equivalent screen. By the way, is there a way to do it manually?
    For some reason my copy of Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2006 (DVD) tells me that there is a disk error and will not begin an install. This is not a really big problem as I have updated 2005 and I am really comfortable with it. However whenever I need to add a new application it's a real pain in the butt to load the CDs as Disk 2 and 3 fails to read in the DVD ROM drive that is used by that OS.
    My system is as follows: Processor AMD Athlon 64 (socket 754) 3200+
    Mainboard MSI K8N neo3
    1 GB PC3200 Kingston memory
    Main HD Hitachi Deskstar 250GB SATA
    120 GB Western Digital PATA
    80 GB Seagate
    256MB Geforce 6500 PCIe
    RAID is not active and the operating systems are all on the Hitachi drive.
    Thanks a lot for all the help offered. Great resource you guys provide.