Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
With the end of support for RH9 coming very soon, what are current users thinking of doing? I am thinking a different distro sounds intreging, but I have my machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

So what are Red Hat 9 users going to do in April?

With the end of support for RH9 coming very soon, what are current users thinking of doing?

I am thinking a different distro sounds intreging, but I have my machine setup and working with my apps loaded. So all the work to get a new distro up to speed sounds like, well a lot of work.

What's the upgrade to Fedora like?

Any comments welcome.

It's to bad Fedora isn't supporting RH9.
    I'm not that into short lived releases and forced upgrades.

Aah well, I'll just upgrade to Fedora Core 1 or 2 it's released.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

If you are at enterprise level, you can always switch to Redhat enterprise. But for something less costly, you can always migrate to Slackware

Good luck

I migrated to Fedora Core 1 with no problems at all.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux User
    Well, unfortunetly, I am not an RH enterprise user. Just a plain old cheap ver 9 kind of guy. And that cheap part of ver 9 is what I like.

I do have a copy of SuSe 9 that I haven't installed yet, it's that migration process that I don't relish.

And I am glad to hear that someone has had a favorable upgrade to Fedora. In reality, that might be my first step.

I went from RedHat 8 to Fedora Core 1 (just chose Upgrade in the setup, and I was rock 'n' roll)
    It's was more or less like a well needed system uppgrade, I'll uppgrade to Core 2 when it comes out.

I don't remember any poblem with the uppgrade, it went smooth for me (despite I've been pretty hard on the system )
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Changing distros is always an alternative (one of the greatest thing about Linux ). If you're worried about setting everything up again, you can copy your config files to CD and backup everything important to cut down on the work, but it will still take a decent amount of time.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

For single users, Fedora is great and easy to use.
    On a server-level, White Box Linux or CentOS-3 could be a solution... Or buy RHEL3, you're absolute in the clear.

Linux User
    is RH gonna do a M$ thingy? what's all the fuss about?

by saying "fedora upgrade" did you mean, like installing a new OS but all data and configuration stays the same? or at least just the data. it's like i've done a lot of customizations already and i don't want to do this again.
    Registered User #345074

Quote Originally Posted by xylex_blaiste
    by saying "fedora upgrade" did you mean, like installing a new OS but all data and configuration stays the same? or at least just the data. it's like i've done a lot of customizations already and i don't want to do this again.
    Then choosing Fedora is great, sure the logon screen changes (read: was updated to a newer version), but as far as I can tell the settings were kept, only that the apps were updated - like my GNOMe and KDE settings remained (at least those which are saved in ~/).
    Think of the uppgrade as, a big uppgrade, where you don't have to manually rpm -ivh, rpm -Uvh or rpm -ivh --force all the uppdates
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast