Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Well, it is important to note that i386 is not a nickname for the 80386. The i386 is the standard - the 80386 is Intel's implementation of that standard. Likewise, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Well, it is important to note that i386 is not a nickname for the 80386. The i386 is the standard - the 80386 is Intel's implementation of that standard. Likewise, the i686 is the standard and the Pentium Pro is Intel's implementation of it.

Linux Newbie
    so wait...im still a liuttle confused ...

I have a Pentium 4 in here. Is this considered an i586 or i686?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out...it is i686...the PII and up are i686 (as I can tell)

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Well, it is important to note that i386 is not a nickname for the 80386. The i386 is the standard - the 80386 is Intel's implementation of that standard. Likewise, the i686 is the standard and the Pentium Pro is Intel's implementation of it.
    As i said im sure its just the genaration of the chip forget about standards they should not matter to you ore me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If I have a distro installed that is designed for i386, would I get better performance if I recompiled the kernel since I'm running on a P3 (or i686)?

Just Joined!
    hey i have been having a bunch of problems installing rh9 on my celeron (clocked at 500) its slot1 so its not a new processor, any idea how i can find out which version i need? i believe im trying to use an i386 right now

Just Joined!
    How is patching Linux OSs dependent on the architecture (i586 or i686) ? Meaning, if RH releases a patch for a particular vulnerability, does it matter if my system has i586 or i686 architecture as long as it has RH Linux whatever version OS ? Can I apply the patch irrespective of the system architecture ?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by The unL33T
    If I have a distro installed that is designed for i386, would I get better performance if I recompiled the kernel since I'm running on a P3 (or i686)?
    Yes, Recompiling your kernel using the I686 instructionset will speed things up.
    Most dirstro's use the i386 since it will run on allmost all PC's.
    Recompiling your kernel is after installing, the next logical step
    But be sure you know exactly what's in you PC.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Quote Originally Posted by jhewitt
    How is patching Linux OSs dependent on the architecture (i586 or i686) ? Meaning, if RH releases a patch for a particular vulnerability, does it matter if my system has i586 or i686 architecture as long as it has RH Linux whatever version OS ? Can I apply the patch irrespective of the system architecture ?

Jason
    Yes, you can.
    But you will need to recompile you kernel after applying a kernel source patch though.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm
    hey i have been having a bunch of problems installing rh9 on my celeron (clocked at 500) its slot1 so its not a new processor, any idea how i can find out which version i need? i believe im trying to use an i386 right now
    Celercons need the I386 instruction set.
    Could try with I586, but I'm not sure. Just try to compile a different kernel version sourcewith i586, copy the bzImage to /boot/bzImageI586, make and install your modules and edit you grub/lilo config and create a seperate entry for it.

If you run kernel 2.4.25, be sure you test it with the 2.4.24 kernel FIRST!.
    This way the working modules and kernel of 2.4.25 stay on your system incase it doesn't work and you need to reboot and recompile..

If you for example run 2.4.25 and you experiment with the 2.4.25 sources if it will work with i586 and it doesn't your original modules and kernel won't bootup. The i386 kernel will not load the I586 modules...

Celerons can be pentium4, pentium3 or pentium2 they are the same chips and have the same instruction sets just the L2 cache has been castrated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast