Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
atp - thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot Friday and report back. I must say, whatever the outcome, the support here - and to a lesser extent ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

atp - thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot Friday and report back.

I must say, whatever the outcome, the support here - and to a lesser extent elsewhere - has been wonderful. It's a pity that real human communities "on the ground" can't take a lesson from virtual communities up here, wherever up here is.

I wonder - if we all met up over a beer in a bar somewhere - could we design a new health care system between us - or something equally contraversial? Or at least design a method for designing a new health care system. We sound such resonable folks don't we? Oops a bit off topic but who cares - oh dear, the moderators probably

RJ

Linux Enthusiast
    At least we could potentially minimize some of these haphazard data breaches that are running the headlines.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    At least we could potentially minimize some of these haphazard data breaches that are running the headlines.

You bet we could

Just Joined!
    attilathepun

The software you recommended (active undelete) looks brilliant but appears to be a windows-only program - hence, presumably, the price tag. The only computers I have here on my home network, that have the capacity to hook up my damaged disk, run linux. The damaged disk is also a reiserfs formatted linux disk.

Presumably there isn't anyway I can run active delete under linux??

I am currently running testdisk on the drive to see what it comes up with. Didn't realise it takes hours to check all the cylinders on a 200Gb disk!!

RJ

Just Joined!
    My bad, arjay, you're right, active@ only supports file systems that Windows supports so it won't help (I used it once to recover my fat32 data partition, that's why it came to mind). If testdisk does not help, then try this (you did say it's Reiser, right? b/c this one will ONLY work with reiser):

Be sure the partition you are trying to recover is not mounted. (type df in the command prompt if you're not sure, all mounted volumes should show up and you can see)
    Now, from the command prompt, type: reiserfsck --rebuild-tree -S /dev/hd??
    where dev/hd?? is the address of the partition you want to recover.

One of these should work, but don't put too much trust in them. Once you've recovered the partition, then back it up, be sure you have the data, and reformat.

Just Joined!
    OK folks - here is the log file for testdisk on my damaged disk.

Could someone with more expertise suggest what I should do now - or better yet, hold my hand through a recovery.

There appears to be some data left - but nothing like the amount I had on the disk (see EDIT below). I am encouraged that the FAT32 partition "LINUXDATA" seems to still be around. I had set it up as a FAT32 because I wanted to write to and from it easily from my Win XP laptop. This is where I stored my own documents and files etc.

/dev/hdb1 was the OS partition and /dev/hdb2 was where i kept the personal data. It was called LINUXDATA. However, I had 20GB or so and this seems to be reporting just a few GB (but see EDIT below).

Anyway - what do you experts make of it all?

If the concensus of opinion is that there is some data to be recovered, I will go out tomorrow and buy a 200GB disk to use for transfers. I understand that I need to have a disk that is the same size or bigger. The only spare disks I have are around 30-40GB.

Thanks for the continued support.

RJ

EDIT: Ran Photorec - it reports 34,778 files on the disk which sounds about right for a suse 10 install plus my home directory. Sounds too good to be true?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!
    EDIT: Finally got something copied to a new disk using dd as per lower in this post. Ignore the questions in the post - I'll report back as soon as I see if there is anything in the cloned image.

OK folks

I have bought a new 250 GB hard disk and formatted it as reiserfs (same as the corrupted disk). I have setup one large partition. I then booted using knoppix live cd with the blank good disk as /dev/hda1 and the bad disk as /dev/hdb1.

I issued this command: dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hda

Nothing appears to be happening. Questions:

1. Is the command correct?

2. Should there be some sort of progress report or something happening in the terminal window?

3. Any idea, roughly, how long I should leave it in this state. I typed the command about an hour ago.

4. If, after a few hours, nothing has happened at all, is it OK just to interupt and close the terminal?

5. If I do that, can i expect to find something copied to the new disk if it has worked at all?

TIA

RJ

Just Joined!
    First, do the partitions show up right? If not, we should probably try and fix that first.

If so then yes, there is a better command. I'd recommend you split the new disk into two partitions to mimic the original configuration. Then, the commands would be this:
    cp -ax /dev/hdb1 /dev/hda1
    Now, to copy the other partition:
    cp -ax /dev/hdb2 /dev/hda2

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by attilathepun
    First, do the partitions show up right? If not, we should probably try and fix that first.
    Some partitions show up, but they all show as D for deleted in testdisk. I have managed to recover a fair bit, using testdisk and have had a bit of help from the author.

However, all i have been able to get back is a FAT32 partition that was a big back up of all my /home directory of a year ago, which i have already got backed up on another computer.

The main linux partition - which had the Suse operating system, and a backed up copy of my /home directory - made just last week - does not appear to have anything left in it. I will attach the testdisk.log file (as *.txt). The relevant bit from it is:
    Tue Jun 27 18:08:01 2006
    Command line: TestDisk

TestDisk 6.5-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, June 2006
    Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
    http://www.cgsecurity.org
    Linux version (ext2fs lib: 1.38, ntfs lib: 9:0:0, reiserfs lib: 0.3.1-rc
    Using locale 'LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=C;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY= C;LC_MESSAGES=C;LC_PAPER=C;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C; LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=C;LC_IDENTIFICATION= C'.
    disk_get_geometry BLKGETSIZE64 /dev/hda number of cylinders 65535 != 77504 (calculated)
    Hard disk list
    Disk /dev/hda - 39 GB / 37 GiB - CHS 77504 16 63, sector size=512
    Disk /dev/hdb - 250 GB / 232 GiB - CHS 30401 255 63, sector size=512

Disk /dev/hdb - 250 GB / 232 GiB
    Partition table type: Intel

Analyse Disk /dev/hdb - 250 GB / 232 GiB - CHS 30401 255 63
    Geometry from i386 MBR: head=255 sector=63
    get_geometry_from_list_part_aux head=255 nbr=2
    get_geometry_from_list_part_aux head=255 nbr=2
    Current partition structure:
    1 * Linux 365 0 1 4011 254 63 58589055

search_part()
    Disk /dev/hdb - 250 GB / 232 GiB - CHS 30401 255 63

ReiserFS Marker at 0/1/1

recover_rfs
    block_count=14458480
    block_size=4096
    D Linux 0 1 1 7199 253 29 115667840
    ReiserFS 3.6 with standard journal, need recovery, 59 GB / 55 GiB

HFS magic value at 7277/0/1

HFS+ magic value at 7489/0/1

HFS magic value at 8608/0/1

Maybe you can make head or tail of that?

I have two possible avenues, now.

The first is to try and make another copy of the damaged disk (I have been working with a copy of course). I am not convinced that dd actually made a full copy. I diid try to copy as an *img file but dd reported immediately that there was no room on the target HD. I had formatted that as reiserfs as the damaged one was and put down just one partition. The disk reports having 233 G free - more that the damaged disk which is just under 200.

Can anyone help with the correct CLI for a dd copy of an image?

The second way foreward is to try something like "foremost". I am still reading up on it but it looks as if it wouldn't do any harm to run it on the current copied version of the damaged disk - before I reformat for a try with a dd image copy.

Any thoughts?

RJ

Just Joined!
    Upload of testdisk log not accepted as it exceeded the forum's limit. Now attached as part one and part 2.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast