Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this is a Linux forum but unfortunately Windows tech sites are usually limited to reboot the machine and see if that fixes the problem. Here's the issue. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a tool that can read a corrupted logical disk drive

I know this is a Linux forum but unfortunately Windows tech sites are usually limited to reboot the machine and see if that fixes the problem. Here's the issue. I dual-boot Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu. I accidently converted my drive to a Windows logical disk, I didn't know this at the time. When my computer restarted it got to loading grub and then rebooted. I thought something happened to Linux so I reinstalled it. What I didn't know at the time is that I accidently converted my whole drive. After I reinstalled it I tried to get into Windows and it BSOD'd. When I went in the Windows install CD I noticed my partitions were all logical and none had drive letters assigned. When I boot it into another machine I got an unreadable error. I found out since I deleted my Linux partitions since Windows put them in the LDM it corrupted it. After I did the conversion nothing was done to anything on the Windows partitions. Even though I can't read the drive under the Windows installer and a few other tools it still shows the original file structure with NTFS and fat32 drives. With Recover My Files I'm able to access the files on the drive with their search feature however it returns only the file with no name just a generic filler. Finding my code and such would be horrible with this. I was wondering if there's a tool to access the drive like it used to be for Windows, Linux, etc. I'd also be interested in converting this back to basic drive if possible. If I do this in Windows with their native tool it will destroy all data. I personally think the data is fine I just can't get to it. Any help please?

Have you tried replacing ntldr on to the MBR?
    Boot up with your installation disk, when you get to the recovery console, type

fixmbr

If that doesn't work, boot up with your installation disk, go through the steps of installing, right up till you are asked where you would like to install to, your current Windows install should be detected and you should be given the option to upgrade without formatting.

Note that this is not an actual upgrade as you are going back to whatever you started with.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

Thank you for your suggestion. I actually decided to give recover my data another try and I noticed it also had a folder view. It's actually recreating the structure as I go along (more of an indexing like system to get to the files than an actual structure). Thank you for taking the time to reply but I think I'm good now.