Find the answer to your Linux question:
ey, anyone here who has a bootsplash progressbar up and running care to share his/her rc file? i'd just like to see how you did it. there are examples but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

bootsplash progress bar

ey, anyone here who has a bootsplash progressbar up and running care to share his/her rc file? i'd just like to see how you did it. there are examples but it's not specific for Redhat 9, and though i guess it doesn't matter, still i wanna be sure. might mess up my boot.. .
    Registered User #345074

I've got something similar running on Fedora core 1, you put rhgb on your kernel line within Grub, like this :-
    Code:
    title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2149.nptl) 
            root (hd0,1) 
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb 
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl.img
    the 'rhgb' is a program, I think in /sbin but I'm not at my PC at the moment, which uses a number of picture files to present a rather grey boot up progress bar.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux User
    nah, i'm using RH9 for now. i don't think that's there, but i'll see. i thought Fedora core 1 didn't have bootsplash yet?
    Registered User #345074

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    perhaps I'm not understanding you. When you say "bootsplash" I'm assuming a pretty picture instead of the usual text list of stuff being loaded and new hardware being checked and services being started. If that is the case then the rhgb I mentioned does that.

You get a brief bit of text only, followed by the gui style of screen, which you can click and change to effectively an xterm, then you get the text based logon prompt, shortly changed to, in my case, gdm.

have fun

nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux User
    sorry about the confusion. i was under the impression that FC1 didn't have a graphical boot similar to the bootsplash that SuSe has incoporated to it's kernel for some time already.

yes, we are talking about the same thing. i've read about this RHGB from the fedora site. nice! makes me look forward to upgrading my RH9. but i still wanna figure a lot of things in my current linux install rather than upgrade or install one distro to another.

i guess this RHGB thing takes care of everything. very nice. but what i really need is that part of the rc script where you're supposed to append a few lines of code in order for the bootsplash progress bar to work. almost all the how-to i've searched are specific for distros like SuSe or Debian. i think it wouldn't matter then, but i won't take the chance coz most how-to warn that you could mess up the rc file and not be able to boot poperly. so i'm not just taking chances.

so i'm just calling out to those using RH9 who has there bootsplash progress bar up and running how they did it with their rc file, coz that's where it's supposed to be done.
    Registered User #345074

Linux User
    ok, nevermind on this. i got it working although it's not too refined, i had to add one line from one initscript to another.. .

Registered User #345074