Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear All, I want to know that how to create the .bin files and what are the necessary files to create it? We are creating the project and then we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to create bin files?

Dear All,
    I want to know that how to create the .bin files and what are the necessary files to create it?

We are creating the project and then we want to load it into the ARM processor, so please help me to understand this.

Please help me.

Thanks in Advance,
    Nishant

.bin files are nothing special; in Linux, file extensions are pretty unimportant. To make a file executable by everyone, try this:
    Code:
    chmod 755 <file>
    This makes it readable and executable by everyone and writable by the owner.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!
    Dear Javasnob,

Thanks for the information first of all, but i want to know that, how i can create the .bin file? what are the commandds and what is the procedure to do so?

One another thing i would like to ask is, that i want to modify the stack of the ARM Linux and want to configure again, for that what i have to do? do you have any idea about that? or can you please provide links for that? we want binary files just because we want to modify the O/S source and want to make the kernel patch again and to download into the processor, but we dont know how to create the .bin files, cna you please help me???

Thanks,
    Nishant

Javasnob is being very patient.

You're asking questions that don't really make any sense. Sort of like asking "how do I design a building?". There's all sorts of issues around what you're asking that would need to be answered first. You know how to patch a kernel, but you don't know what a bin file is and how to create it? I think you need to do some reading. I suspect you would create a bin file with the compiler, don't you? Start here.

DT

Just Joined!
    Dear Dthor

Thanks for the reply, and as you wrote that "You know how to patch a kernel, but you don't know what a bin file is and how to create it?" i didnt tell that i know how to patch a kernel? i am currently learning how to patch a kernel and as per my information (what is given in the support CD), kernels given in the support CD is bin files, even i also not told that i dont know what is bin file, but i only dont know that how to create the bin file, bin file is what i am interested to create so that i can download it into the processor, and one more thing is how to download the bin file in the board, that help is already given in CD, but i am interested in its basics, cos source code is also given in the CD and we want to modify that code and want to download it into the processor, but dont know how to compile it, how to create the bin file that i can download into the processor, and that is why i am asking for the help, another thing is i am also new to this field and dont know much more things in the detail so that i can make it happen fast, so plese forgive me if i ask some silly questions, and by the way thanks for the link provided.

Hope for the positive reply.

Thanks,
    Nishant

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, Nishant Desai.

First of all, since you are relatively new here, welcome.

It looks like English is not your first language, so there may be some communication problems, and we all will try to be as patient as possible.

From what you have written, you may be trying to create executable files on one platform for another, perhaps to download to a separate board, on which you have an ARM processor. You called the files bin, and in Linux we usually call those executables. As DThor mentioned, this is really a translation process, from source to binary, done usually with a compiler, like C, Fortran, etc.

To help us help you, perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your project -- not in too much detail, but just an outline. For example, if you are doing something with an embedded system, it would help us to know what platforms you are working on.

I have not worked on embedded systems, so I may not be able to help you, but there are probably others here who can help once we know more about what your project is.

We hope to hear more from you soon ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    Dear MR. Drl,

Thanks for the reply, and you are right that my first language is not english, so that there could be a communication gap.

Ok, then let me come to point and here i am giving you some further information, that we are using the ARM processor and developing data logging application with the faster response and for that we want to use OS on the ARM processor, so that we can provide the faster response, as in the support CD there is some binary files are given as kernel and ramdisk, these are the ready made applications and we just have to use it but they are not providing the exact application which we want to build in our processor, so that we have decided that we will going to change the source code and we will generate new application as a binary file (which could be the executable file) and that we want to load into the ARM processor, but the main thing is we dont know how to create the bin file (or it could be the executable file), and for that i want help, but as my language was pour it caused a mess, but here now i am making things clear.

Please help me to do so, i have the source code and we can change the source code but the main thing is all the modules are independent, we have to link them and we have to build the bin file (may be executable file), and that is what we are looking for.

We are having the ARM9 processor and AT91RM9200 dev kit, and we have the ARM Linux's source code and its kernel as a bin file.

Looking for the positive reply.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nishant

You don't have the dev kit?

http://www.us.design-reuse.com/news/news6320.html

Otherwise, you'll need to look at the Linux ARM programming site I pointed you to.

DT

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, Nishant.

I think we are making some progress, but I still don't understand the situation as completely as I would like.

If your goal is to change the embedded system, then, as you have asked, you will need to make some source changes and create the binaries, executables, possibly libraries, and so on.

What I don't know yet, is whether you have a supporting system. The little that I know about embedded systems is that you almost always do the work on a different, bigger system, such as an Intel Linux system. Then you transfer the products you have created to the board. That's why DThor has been giving you links to sites which discuss development kits. You could not run Intel executables on an ARM because the instruction set is different, so you need special software -- the dev kit -- to run on the supporting system to create executables that will run on the embedded system.

So please tell us more about your environment: do you have a small embedded system on which you have the ARM, and do you have a supporting system?

If so, then we are really at DThor's question: "do you have the development kit installed?" In addition to DThor's links, I see that the ARM site has some information on the development kit at http://www.arm.com/products/ ... cheers, drl

( edit 1: typo )
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DThor
    You don't have the dev kit?

http://www.us.design-reuse.com/news/news6320.html

Otherwise, you'll need to look at the Linux ARM programming site I pointed you to.

DT
    Hey DThor,

Thanks for the info. bro, i found this info really helpful and from this i have found one link which can lead me to the ATMEL customer support and i think it will help me to move ahead cos i have the same resources as it has written on the above link, so that i can ask for a support directly to the ATMEL.

Thanks,
    Nishant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast