Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hye all there I just want to make my Linux as a server. And to make a domain so that I can Connect my linux clients to this domain, please ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to configure Domain name in linux so linux client can

Hye all there I just want to make my Linux as a server. And to make a domain so that I can Connect my linux clients to this domain, please tell me how to do this. My question simply is this as we make a domain controller in win2k. and can centrely manage the users so how can we do this same work from Linux..

I am using Red HAT 8.0 for server as well as same for client please help me?

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "server". Are you only referring to a domain controller, or do you want anything else, too.
    Anyway, of course it's possible to centralize the user database. There are several methods: nis, kerberos, smb (not recommended, but possible), ldap, etc.
    If you want something really secure, it's kerberos that you want. If you just want to do it in a simple fashion, it's nis that you want. There's a HOWTO on NIS on tldp.org.

Linux Engineer
    NIS is great but I have never attpemted to get it to work with windows clients(if its even possible). If you are replacing a windows domain, I suggest using samba then. It works great as replacing a NT4 pdc and you can use an ldap backend to it. Samba-tng just released version 0.3 which is supposed to have better samba+ldap support then samba 2.2.X. You also might want to check samba 3.0, its in beta now but I have used it since alpha without any problems and that also supports an ldap backend if you want to use it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    In that case, wouldn't it be better to use both NIS and samba, so that Linux clients can benefit from NIS? I though you mentioned that you had Linux clients, too, right?

Linux Engineer
    Ahh I didn't notice the linux clients part. We used to use NIS+ but then moved to pam_mysql which is much easier to admin and to handle sudoers files. All users are stored in a central mysql db and all our servers query it for logins. Also to handle the sudoers file, a perl script can retrieve the global sudoers file from the db then comapre and make any changes needed every 5 min. Reason we switched from NIS+ was because it could't replicate the sudoers file or maybe it can but it wasn't setup properly. Also couldn't get it working correctly on all servers. With pam_mysql, you can write a web based frontend with perl or php to admin the db which makes it extremely easy to add/del/modify users.

Linux Guru
    Nah, did you use a perl script?! Don't kid around with me like that... =)
    Anyway, I didn't know that there was pam_mysql module. That seems cool enough. But how does that work with the getpwent functions? Did you install an nsswitch module, too?

Linux Engineer
    I am not exactly how it works with getpwent(it probably doesnt when trying to retrieve any accounts not in passwd) but if you needed to retrieve username, pass, uid, ect you can always query the db to get it. The passwd file will still be there with the default users and they will still function the same way. If the mysql db were to go down, root will still be able to login through from the passwd file. You do not need to install an nsswitch module.

Linux Guru
    But how does that work with commands like ls trying to map UIDs to names?

Linux Engineer
    Ok appearently I was wrong on how we had pam_mysql setup and I have no idea how I didn't know about this until I went over the setup again. We did use a nss_mysql module(completely different project from pam_mysql) and also replicated the passwd file across the servers incase the mysql server were to ever go down. The dev team for pam_mysql is currently building a nss module to go with thier pam_mysql module.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    Ok appearently I was wrong on how we had pam_mysql setup and I have no idea how I didn't know about this until I went over the setup again. We did use a nss_mysql module(completely different project from pam_mysql) and also replicated the passwd file across the servers incase the mysql server were to ever go down. The dev team for pam_mysql is currently building a nss module to go with thier pam_mysql module.
    Any body can tell me how to build a Mandrake server to act as NIS server for cenralizing the users authentication

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast