Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Brezy Badger 5.x and on balance I love it more than any other Linux version I have used. There is, however, one hangup that just drives me crazy!!!! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Freezing up

I'm running Brezy Badger 5.x and on balance I love it more than any other Linux version I have used. There is, however, one hangup that just drives me crazy!!!!

All I have to do is get up from the computer to get a drink of water, and the thing just FREEZES! Nothing except a complete restart will solve the problem. I left Microsoft because of problems like that, and after Linux I don't know where to go.

Screensavers don't help. Nothing does. If I don't hit a keystroke for about five to ten minutes, I need to restart.

Can anyone help with this?
    Greatly appreciate it if you could

Linux User
    Let me understand. If you don't move anything, you're PC freeze? And if you continue typing, you can work for many hours?

Another question: MS Windows has the same behavior?
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

Just Joined!

Freezing up

Yep. As long as I sit here engaging the computer, it works fine. If I step away for five or ten minutes, it freezes up and must be restarted. I never had this problem with Fedora, Mandrake or any version of Debian. I have tested many versions of Linux, and have used Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP. Never had this problem with any of them.

Windows didn't at the exact same way, but now and then an MS program would just flat out freeze right in th emiddle of an operation. Then there was the infamous BLUE SCREEN which happened once too often, and drove me to Linux after hearing how stuff like this never happens.

If I stopped typing or moving the mouse for as long as it took to type this message and for you to read it, I would certainly have to restart.

Hi - It would be good practice to look for error messages in /var/log and check the output from dmesg. Any clues there?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

how are the sleep/suspend/hibernate settings set? sounds like it's going to sleep and not waking up. in breezy i know of a lot of people that had similar problems with the powernowd (i think that's how it's spelled check synaptic) and acpi settings. you might try uninstalling or disabling both of those and starting from there.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!