Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, i use one of my old computers in CLI quite a lot, but the problem is that when logged on in text mode, i can only perform one task ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Command line multitasking

hey,

i use one of my old computers in CLI quite a lot, but the problem is that when logged on in text mode, i can only perform one task at a time at the prompt.

is there any way to use several "tabs" while working in the command line interface?
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Quote Originally Posted by easuter
    i use one of my old computers in CLI quite a lot, but the problem is that when logged on in text mode, i can only perform one task at a time at the prompt.
    You can start a task and let it run in the background.
    Code:
    task &
    Quote Originally Posted by easuter
    is there any way to use several "tabs" while working in the command line interface?
    The different consoles: ALT-F1, ALT-F2, etc.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Enthusiast
    You can probably try "screen". I've used it in the past, but it takes a lot of getting used to.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I second 'screen'. It's very good and it probably comes with all distributions.

But even more simply, if you are at the computer you are using (i.e. not via SSH, etc.) you can try the other virtual terminals. Press CTRL-ALT-F2, ... CTRL-ALT-F6.

They you can press CTRL-ALT-F1 to go back to the initial login, or CTRL-ALT-F7 to go back to X if you started there.

thanks guys, that was just what i was looking for.
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...