Find the answer to your Linux question:
Any advice on the best way to do the following: I have a hard-disk with an extended partition in which I have Linux Swap, Linux Root (/) and Home (/home) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Add a new Hard-Disk

Any advice on the best way to do the following:

I have a hard-disk with an extended partition in which I have Linux Swap, Linux Root (/) and Home (/home) (I also have some NTFS Windows partitions but we can ignore them )

I want to buy a new Hard-disk on which I want to create an extended partition in which I want to create one partition and mount it as /home

The I want to remove /home from my current hard-disk and extend the root partition (/) to take up the free space created by removing /home

any suggestions please.

Please note that I have QT Parted on the bootable 'System Rescue CD'
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Engineer
    if theres only going to be 1 partition on the new drive is there any reason u want an extended partition?

just put the new drive in, then using soem paritioning tool (while booted from hdd, u shouldnt need a boot cd unless something goes wrong). format/partition the new drive to have 1 partition of ext3/reiserfs/whatever. now mount it somewhere its not important where. now copy everything from /home to the new drive (cp -rf /home/* /newdrive)

now chaneg /etc/fstab so that instead of
    /dev/hda2 /home ....whatever

it reads
    /dev/hdb1 /home ...copy from above

this will make it so when u next boot (or run as root "umount /home; mount /home") the new drive will be mounted as /home

ok u might need a bootcd here, u might not. but reboot anyway and chack that everythign loosk the same but /home will have a lot more free space. now bring up some partition tool and delete the partition that WAS /home on hda, now resize the root partition to fill up this free space. (will be slightly harder and prob need bootcd if they are not next to each other.)

then reboot and it shoudl all be fine.

Thanks

Ah thatís great. Thanks for the advice. I actually forgot that the root userís home directory is not a subdirectory of /home therefore I can log in as root and make changes to /home.

Thanks again
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close