Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNU crosscompiler tools for ARM11

Does anybody developed GNU crosscompiler tools for ARM11.
    If so please let me know the versions of the tools you used.
    Because i am trying to develop an application which has to run on IMX31/(ARM11). My host system is with suse10 and Intel processor.

Thanks ,

Maryland, USA
    Hey, sorry I missed this question earlier. I've never used an ARM machine, but I compile and use GCC cross compilers that run on Linux and build code for Windows (Mingw32) and AVR (Atmel microcontrollers).

Looking in the gcc-4.1.1 source code, I see gcc/config/arm/arm-cores.def contains a bunch of architecture-specific stuff including 60 apparently supported core variants: strongarm110, arm1136j-s, etc.

You'll have to know the canonical architecture name of the ARM target you are building for. The config.guess script will help you figure it out, which may be armeb-unknown, arm-unknown, arm-unknown-riscos, etc.

This is how I build my cross compiler for AVR:

1. Build binutils first (substantially the same as gcc) and install
    2. Untar the gcc-VER source into /usr/local/src/gcc-VER (you can put it whereever you want)
    3. Create a subdirectory 'build-avr'
    4. In the subdirectory run
      ../configure --target=avr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --disable-shared --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-libssp
      (Note that there is currently an outstanding bug with libssp for embedded targets)
    5. make
    6. make install
      This puts the tools in subdirectories of /usr/local/avr and puts copies in /usr/local/bin, but the copies have names like avr-gcc instead of gcc.

Then when I compile code in my project, I set variables in my Makefile (as and ld come from binutils):
    CC := avr-gcc
    AS := avr-as