Find the answer to your Linux question:
If you haven't used Mandrake before they have it set up in a Windows XP like fashion where you click on Icons to login you don't type in a username. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I enable root login w/Mandrake Linux 9.2?

If you haven't used Mandrake before they have it set up in a Windows XP like fashion where you click on Icons to login you don't type in a username. Unfortunately they do not allow root to login. You can only get to it by su. I understand it's a good way to keeping somebody from using root to do everything however when you are setting up the system it is annoying using su in every shell I open and everytime I want to do something on the desktop entering a password. In the /etc/passwd file root is set to login to /bin/bash there's no "nologin" that I see. Any suggestions?

My 9.2 is at home and I'm at work right now, but in 9.0 I always logged out, then typed `root' as username, then the password. I think I've done it before in 9.2 with gnome -I don't quite recall. I would be surprised if they changed this though....

see if a script with sudo does what you want. If not check out running an application as another user in the creating an application link on the desktop.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS