Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was digging through my old stuff today, when I found an old Palm Zire 21 (with some kind of a TI OMAP processor) that I'd forgotten about. I soon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on Palm device

I was digging through my old stuff today, when I found an old Palm Zire 21 (with some kind of a TI OMAP processor) that I'd forgotten about. I soon got to wondering whether it would be feasible to install some kind of Linux distro on it. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Linux on embedded devices. I'm looking at uClinux, but as I said before I have no idea how to go about this. If anybody has had any success with anything like this, or can recommend a better distro for this sort of thing, please let me know.

hi hygraed !!

Linux Sync Apps:

J-Pilot -- This is my personal favorite. It uses GTK, is small and fast, and resembles the older Windows desktop program. I've used it with M100 (serial), T415, and TG50 (both Clie USB). Has always worked well. Also, it can popup reminders on your screen based on your Palm alarms and can even work as a standalone basic PIM.

KPilot -- Haven't used this one enought to judge, but seemed to work well the few times I tried it. The big advantages are:
    1. Integrated with KDE PIM suite (mail, addresses, notes, etc. are all shared)
    2. Included DOC <--> text converter
    3. System-tray sync daemon (don't have to manually start the program to sync)

Linux on the Palm -- I wish. Might as well forget about this one. People have been trying it for years with very limited success (nothing that you could actually do anything useful with - mainly just "Gee -- a boot screen!") If you want Linux on a PDA, get a Zaurus. It seems there was one company (WInd River?) that had a replacement OS for the Palm based on a Linux core, but it was commercial and provided the same functionality of the Palm OS without the extra benefits of Linux. I think it was only for the older Palms (V, Vx). The uCLinux project seems interesting, but it's using specialized hardware to do the job, and the benefits are still questionable.

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First