Find the answer to your Linux question:
Thought I'd recommend a book about Linux which I've just bought. It's very good: 'Beginning Linux Programming' by Neil Matthew and Richard Stones. Published by John Wiley and Sons Inc./ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Useful Linux book

Thought I'd recommend a book about Linux which I've just bought. It's very good:

'Beginning Linux Programming' by Neil Matthew and Richard Stones. Published by John Wiley and Sons Inc./ ISBN 0764544977.

It has an excellent chapter on shell scripting. The rest is mainly to do with C programming in one way or another. Not really a newbie's book, but great for reference, well laid out and even I can follow most of it. Not cheap though (unless you buy it online) and big enough to stand on and look over walls
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I was thinking of buying this book a while ago I thought it looked good I think I might buy it now I have a few good wiley books

That's cool...

This book has got the best intro. to shell scripting I can find. I read it through and then went and wrote a script to handle mplayer in the shell, so instead of typing mplayer -dvd 1 -chapter 1 I just type 1, or 2 etc. Thinking of putting a gui on this just for phun, 'cos all my dvds start up differently. It even shows you how to script a complete database, and how to write a server in C (about 30 lines of code... at least to start with). It's very good indeed
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close